Author Topic: Fostering Tayport (Ferry upon Craig )1915  (Read 12861 times)

Offline shelly 65

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fostering Tayport (Ferry upon Craig )1915
« on: Wednesday 02 April 14 15:50 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,
                  i am VERY new to this,i have been looking on just about every fee paying webb-site for information.(got nowhere)..
My aunt was seeminly born in Tayport 25/10/1915 illegitimate we have "no surname"but know whom she was fostered out to,i am looking for information on the fostering out bit whether it was from an instistution or the church,do not know where to look.
Gratefull for ANY input.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Fostering Tayport (Ferry upon Craig )1915
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 20:58 BST (UK) »
Hi shelley 65

Don't think you are likely to find any record of this really. Especially online  :-\

Adoption, never mind fostering, was only made legal in Scotland from 1930. See www.nas.gov.uk/guides/adoptions.asp

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 April 14 08:01 BST (UK) »

Offline shelly 65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 April 14 13:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica
              sorry i could not figure out how to reply to you ???,hope this is the way.
Thank you for your reply, i rekon too that i will never solve the mistery especially when she had no birth cert.,
What i cannot understand is how she managed to get her state pension and a passport without the birth cert.,
Anyway thank you very much for your reply. 8)

Offline shelly 65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 April 14 13:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Brucel,
              thank you for the link you sent ,very interesting,much appreciated. :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 April 14 13:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Shelly

Hard to say without knowing more. How do you know about this aunt, including her birth date and location of birth?

You say she was illegitimately so likely she would show under mother's surname on the statutory birth register. There will be birth registration for her, given the period. Just a question of how it was registered/indexed. If the reputed father accepted paternity and attended the registrar's office to register birth, then father's surname and details were also included.

If she was fostered from very young, she could have been adopted?

What do you know, if anything, about her later years.

Unfortunately given it is a 1915 birth, it is not possible to view images of birth certs online as you have found as the 100 yr rule due to privacy rules applies.

If you are in Scotland, you have some options in terms of viewing more recent BMDs at one of the main genealogy centres or registrar's offices.

Monica

Offline shelly 65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 April 14 14:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,
               it is a long complicated story,i am unsure if i can explain it in a uncomplicated way,i will try to be as brief as possible.
My dad was also taken in(fostered? i do not know)by David &Rachel,when my dad was due to get his state pension he then found out that David&Rachel were not his parents.My aunt(my dads step sister)had no birth cert.,either but she knew her birth date and where she was born(tayport)she also knew that she was fostered (as she put it) never knew her mother or father or their names,she, like my dad was given David&Rachels surname.I have been in touch with NAS in Edinburgh and also the church in Tayport nothing can be found with only her given names.
We did find my dads birth so we know who gave birth to him and we know his proper birth name.
What really confuses me is how did David & Rachel get these kids,there are more that my dad and aunt.
They are all gone now.
Monica i hope you dont wish you had never asked... :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 April 14 14:12 BST (UK) »
Oh, don't worry about me, or anyone else here on RC...we love really complicated puzzles  ;D 

Did David & Rachel keep your father's first name from birth or was that also changed?

David & Rachel sound like good people who gave a home to many a child from what you say.

Have you been able to check your aunt's marriage cert or her death registration? Sometimes information creeps into the certificates.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 03 April 14 14:15 BST (UK) »
When you say you have been in touch with NAS, do you mean the National Archives of Scotland or the GROS(the General Register Office of Scotland)?

Monica