Author Topic: John Farrell - Celbridge, Co Kildare  (Read 12349 times)

Offline shansf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Farrell - Celbridge, Co Kildare
« on: Wednesday 15 August 12 22:31 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for some help on finding the ancestors of my great great grandfather John Farrell. John was born around 1859/1860 in Celbridge, Co Kildare. He married Margaret McEvoy in Dublin in 1887. On his marriage cert his parents are listed as James Farrell and Mary Gallagher. I believe he was an only son as my aunt has his obituary from 1913 where it says he was an only son but it does not mention if he has sisters. Also, I know he served in the 57th and 77th Middlesex Regiment at some point. Any info on his birth or parents would be appreciated.  I have not been able to find anything.  Many thanks.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: John Farrell - Celbridge, Co Kildare
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 August 12 22:44 BST (UK) »
John was born just before the start of civil registrations of birth so you will need to check for a baptism for him in parish records. Were you Farrell family RC ?

see : Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 August 12 22:47 BST (UK) »
here's a link to the marriage for reference - in St. Mary's Marlborough St. so the family were RC :

Marriage of John Farrell & Margaret McEvoy - 21 Feb 1887

John's parents were deceased at the time of the marriage.

Do you have a civil cert ?
It should show occupations which might help your search,..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 August 12 22:54 BST (UK) »
There are two John Farrell baptisms listed in Celbridge parish around 1859 on the free index on RootsIreland pay-website - but neither is showing a match for father's name James, or mother's surname Gallagher.

What was the source of the place of birth for John ?

Note the baptism transcripts for Celbridge parish on RootsIreland only go back to 1857, even though actual records go back further.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shansf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 August 12 23:35 BST (UK) »
Shane, Thank you so much for your reply.  The Dublin 1901 census has him listed as born in Celbridge.  Also, his obituary says he was from Celbridge.  I do not have his civil marriage cert, I only have the church source you linked above.  I will try to get the civil cert when I am back in Ireland later in the year. 

Many thanks.

Sharon

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 August 12 12:46 BST (UK) »
I see John on the 1901 Census, a very definte Celbridge, Co. Kildare as his place of birth  - link for reference :

Farrell household - Hill St.

It's possible his age is slightly inaccurate and was before the start if the Celbridge parish records. Do you have him on the 1911 census (see next reply), or his age on his death cert ?

Fathers occupation is likely a laborer or farmer, but might help if it's someone with a trade or business like a blacksmith or grocer..

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 August 12 12:52 BST (UK) »
John Farell and family in 1911 for reference :

Farrell household, Temple St.

John age 53 (c1858) vs 42 on the 1901 return, Wife Margarent age 49 vs 40 - so both ages reasonably consistent.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shansf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 August 12 16:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane

Yes that is them on the census.  He died on 16th July 1913 aged 54, according to his newspaper obit. He was still living at 29 Temple Street when he died.  On the census his occupation is listed as van driver, but my understanding is that they had a cab business of some type and may have been some way involved in the undertaking business, but I'm not sure about the last bit.  We do not know anything about his father's occupation unfortunately.  I know John was in the military for a time - 57th and 77th Middlesex Regiment and suspect he may have settled in Dublin after he exited the army.  Thats about all I know.

Your help is much appreciate.
Sharon

Offline shansf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 August 12 00:13 BST (UK) »
I've managed to get a copy of the obituary for John Farrell, and it says his father is James Farrell of Temple Mills, Celbridge, Co Kildare.  Does Temple Mills means anything to you?

Many thanks.

Sharon