Author Topic: Mary Prendergast - b 1834 Waterford Ireland  (Read 5192 times)

Offline sharon K

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Mary Prendergast - b 1834 Waterford Ireland
« on: Tuesday 14 February 06 02:46 GMT (UK) »
Trying to locate any family details of a Mary Prendergast b c 1834
Parents: Edward/Edmund Prendergast and Johanna Obrien.

Mary came to Australia around 1860 and died Age 54 in 1888 Victoria.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Offline goggy

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Prendergast - b 1834 Waterford Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 March 06 00:47 GMT (UK) »
Sharon.
I'm descended from a' Prendy' and have a slew of names in four scruffy note books,will have a look thru' em and see if anything comes up.
Have you gone into other search areas?
The name is well known in Aus; but no apparent write up,except for Maurie Prendy's site,The Prendergast's.Have you seen that?
      Cheer's.Goggy. ;) ;D

Offline Kit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 May 06 16:01 BST (UK) »
Interesting. My father was Thomas Prendergast from Waterford B.1906. Mother was Bridget (unmarried)..daughter of Thomas and Joanna..but our Joanna was a Gough..I'm sure they must have been related...I believe there was a sister of Bridget' named Mary..but am sure none of these came to Australia....I will check with the expert (sister Trish LOL) and get back to you asap.
Prendergast, also known as Pender

Carrickbeg...Tipperary/Waterford border

Offline goggy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 May 06 03:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Kit,Sharon.
We have touched 'hand's 'before.Since my last post,I have received a read out of my Maternal line ,which gives a different date for my G'Ma's marriage to a Binstead.My guesstimate was yard's.if not mile's out!

Sharon,haven't found any of the union's you are after,due mainly to the fact that although Johannah+Ed;crop up frequently,they have a piece of relevant info missing,to find which mean's an Irish search,Ican't get get much satisfaction there,but that is due to personal ineptitude!!
None of mine from that time span came to Australia,tho' some had a free trip with earlier Convict ship's I think.In this respect I'm using the Name,rather than proven bloodline.
Keep on keeping on,all will come to those who persevere<or are o'wise plain obstinate!!

Kit,as said in my earlier post's,no advance on your Bridie yet either,same reason's as above,as a Family Historian I,m no great shake's!Trying all the time though.

Hope you and Trish are making some progress in your quest,and keeping well to do so.
                       Goggy. ;) ;D

Offline goggy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 August 06 07:17 BST (UK) »
Sharon,Kit.
Have you both been into the Prendy's in Oz by the way? Very numerous now, and one of 'em at least,should be into the history of 'em.
Go get 'em Gal's!
                    Goggy. ;) ;D

Offline martisull

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 August 13 04:22 BST (UK) »
A few coincidences here but obviously not the correct Mary Prendergast ... I have a Mary Prendergast born in 1843 in Sydney Australia also the daughter of an Edmund Prendergast whose ancestors I have just been trying to locate. He however was married to Honora Doherty in 1842 in Sydney Australia. This Mary was married to John Pogson b1837 in Lincolnshire, England. John Pogson's parents were William Pogson and Jane Wilkinson but I have nothing further back on any of these.