Author Topic: Johnnie Walker  (Read 12129 times)

Offline IOMBar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Johnnie Walker
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 29 June 13 20:25 BST (UK) »
I don't know if this thread is still active, but I am descended from Alexander Walker who was Johnnie's First Cousin and I have quite a bit of information about the family.
Barbara

Offline gb58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 19 August 13 20:28 BST (UK) »
Hi IOMBar
Sorry only just seen your post- I havent visited the website for a long time -just spotted it in my deleted/spam.
Am still interested to know if Johnnie had any siblings or not-are you able to help?
Any info would be great
Gwenda

Offline IOMBar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 19 August 13 21:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Gwenda
I haven't done much on this recently as my line of descent is through Johnnie's Uncle John ( of whom I have quite a bit of information).  I don't have any siblings listed for Johnnie,but he must have thought of my line as his close family as they were living at Toddrigs much of the time and looked after Johnnie when his father Alexander died when he was only 14. 'My' John had 9 children, at least two of whom were born at Toddrigs.
Bar

Offline gb58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 26 August 13 10:48 BST (UK) »
My connection is through my g g grandmother. She was Elizabeth Wright Walker born 1830 in York & her parents were William Walker & his wife Sarah(maiden name not yet known).  William is supposedly related to Johnnie Walker in some way.

Offline IOMBar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 29 August 13 15:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Gwenda
Its a definite possibility.  John Walker and Agnes Millar had three children, the oldest John born Dreghorn 1773 is my ancestor, another son Alexander who was Johnnie's father and the third son was William. 
Barbara

Offline MegP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 02 September 13 00:43 BST (UK) »
Dear Members
I may not have been looking hard enough but I haven't seen a comprehensive tree for this family. I am tracing one known and one rumoured connection:

1 Mary McLellan Walker b 1862 (married James Galloway; daughter of Alexander Walker, son of John 'Johnnie'Walker, and Georgina Patterson, his first wife)

2 Eliza Walker b 1833 Ireland, died 1881 Glenelg, Grey South, Ontario, Canada. Parents possibly Edward and Mary

I wandered if Eliza might be a niece or first cousin once removed of Johnnie?
Many thanks
Megan
Sydney, Australia
Researching  Phelps, Millard, Orr and Sloane.

Offline IOMBar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 02 September 13 09:47 BST (UK) »
Megan
so Elizabeth Purvis was Johnnie's second wife?
Bar

Offline MegP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 02 September 13 21:54 BST (UK) »
My apologies; I wasn't terribly clear. Georgina Patterson was the first wife of Alexander Walker (1837-1889, I believe), son of 'Johnnie' Walker and Elizabeth Purvis/Purves. Alexander's  second wife was Isabella McKemmie (married 1867). There are quite a few public family trees on the internet that have Mary McLellan Walker incorrectly as the daughter of Isabella.
Researching  Phelps, Millard, Orr and Sloane.

Offline CCW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 27 November 13 06:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi IOMBar,
I'm also a descendant of John Walker (1773), by his son William Glassford Walker (born 1812).  Most of what I know about my family history comes from an article in the "Ayrshire Notes" (http://www.ayrshirehistory.org.uk/Bibliography/pdfs/an17.pdf).  I did also learn some family history from an old cousin (twice removed), Norman Porteous.  Norman told us that W.G.Walker was a first cousin to Johnnie Walker, but I haven't been able to confirm it.  I'd be interested to learn more about our common ancestors.
CCW.