Author Topic: Baptism records of children of British soldiers serving in Ireland  (Read 866 times)

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Baptism records of children of British soldiers serving in Ireland
« on: Monday 07 July 14 12:32 BST (UK) »
Both my 3 x great grandfather (Kenneth Fowler) and one of his sons (John) were in the army and were posted to Ireland for a period during their service according to the birthplaces of some of their children as listed on censuses.
The years in question would be 1804 - 1807 for Kenneth's daughter's (Frances) birth. 
And approx 1829 and 1831 for John's daughters (Jane and Harriet) I have some details of John's military service, it confirms he was in Dublin in 1830, but no details of any of his family.
All of of Kenneth's England born children were baptised in Non-Conformist chapels. I believe John was also a non-conformist.
Has anyone any suggestions were I could look to find baptism records.
I have tried Ancestry and FindMyPast, but got no further than confirming John's service in Ireland from military record. Only seem to have Catholic baptisms. 
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline pet50ite

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism records of children of British soldiers serving in Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 July 14 15:18 BST (UK) »
Hi LizzieL,
I had a very quick look at Rootsireland and Irish genealogy ie. but I didn't find anything that could be your ancestors (that doesn't mean to say its not there). If you try both of these sites you might see something I didn't. The other possibility is that the wife/wives went back to Britain after the children's births and had them baptised near to family.
cowan, sinnott, duffy, addi, conlon, halpin, (dublin) dowling, mcdonald, donnelly (dublin, newcastle upon tyne and tyrone)

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism records of children of British soldiers serving in Ireland
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 July 14 17:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestions of those sites. It is a possibility that the children were baptised in England, I hadn't thought of that. Kenneth married his wife in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, but I haven't found her baptism there or any families with the same name (Nile) but I have found a lot in Devon so I suspect she may have been the daughter of a fellow soldier stationed in Great Yarmouth. So n ot really sure where she would have family.
John's wife was born in Cornwall and I have found baptisms in Cornwall of a younger and an older child, but maybe he was stationed in other places in England. His military record says he served at "home" after 1818, which at the time included Ireland. Although in the army he was a draughtsman and mapmaker and worked on the Irish Survey. After he was discharged in 1839 due to failing eyesight he lived in Cornwall.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott