Author Topic: Seeking the BRUDELL(or BRUDLE)/MURRAY's from Bunnamucka & Carnvalley,Strokestown  (Read 8571 times)

Offline nikkiijo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello All!

I'm seeking my Great Great Grandparents From Strokestown, Roscommon.

Emily Josephine BRUDELL (or BRUDLE) b. 25 AUG 1879 Bunnamucka, Strokestown, Roscommon.
Michael Joseph MURRAY (or Murry) b.11 SEP 1872 Carnvalley, Strokestown, Roscommon

I have Birth Certs for my Great Grandparents Emily BRUDELL & Michael MURRAY.

I am seeking any information available on their parents:

Bridget MCDERMOTT & Michael MURRAY(or MURRY)of Carnvalley -Parents of Michael Joseph MURRAY
Mary HUNT & Luke BRUDELL(or BRUDLE)of Bunnamucka - Parents of Emily Josephine BRUDELL

I have only been able to get as far back as Emily Josephine BRUDELL & Michael Joseph MURRAY's Birth Certificates (which an older relative, unfortunately now deceased, somehow got issued in Roscommon, Éire by the Superintendent of Births and Deaths in 2002).

I'd be so happy if anyone is able to help locate Birth Records (for all of the 4 people listed below), & Marriage Records between:

Bridget MCDERMOTT & Michael MURRAY(or MURRY)of Carnvalley, Strokestown, Roscommon.
&
Mary HUNT & Luke BRUDELL(or BRUDLE)of Bunnamucka, Strokestown, Roscommon.

I would be ever grateful for any kind of assistance anyone is able to provide :)

Thanking you in advance!!! :)

Cheers,

Nikkii

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking the BRUDELL(or BRUDLE)/MURRAY's from Bunnamucka & Carnvalley,Strokestown
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 August 14 17:20 BST (UK) »

As Emily and Michael were born in the 1870s their parents were born before Civil Registration in 1864 so you will need to find their baptisms.
It would be best to find their marriage first and work back from there.
First place to try is the Irish records on FamilySearch https://familysearch.org/search/collection/list#page=1&countryId=1927084

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking the BRUDELL(or BRUDLE)/MURRAY's from Bunnamucka & Carnvalley,Strokestown
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 August 14 00:22 BST (UK) »
Hi There

I presume that you have seen the online tree for Bessie Brudell, with the same parents.

I can also see that there is a Luke F Brudell, again with the same parents.

Also, a Patrick Brudell with the same parents.

HUM, it's a rareish name

Luke    Bruddell
Age    66
Birth    1830
Death 1896 Apr - Jun 1896
District Ballinasloe
Volume    4
Page    13

Ballinasloe registration district covered parts of Roscommon too !

Tara

Offline nikkiijo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 August 14 20:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Sinann & Tara,

Thank you for your help with this :)

I've conducted many searches on the Family Search Website - to no avail :(
I really don't know where to go to get any decent search results for my Irish Family? Every search I've undertaken has gone nowhere. I know there were historical problems with regard to record loss, but I can get no results for Ireland at all - Athlone, Roscommon or Cork...

I've seen all of the BRUDELL Family Trees on Ancestry, thanks Tara - they have all gotten only as far as I have (& they are relatives).

There must be some way to trace these relatives a little further back? Surely? I just feel like I must be doing it all wrong in my search for my Irish Family...

Cheers,

Nikkii

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 August 14 21:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Nikkii

Most people blame the 1921 issue for the loss of records and yes this didn't help but it's not the only reason.

It was 1864 before people had to civilly record BMD but it was nearly the 1900's before it was fully commonplace.

Prior to 1864 you are looking for parish records and that's where a lot of the issues lie.

Some churches just didn't keep great records. Some churches kept good records but they were destroyed. Some churches kept good records but with time the records have become illegible. Some churches don't have their records online.

There are also issues with spelling. The surname you are researching is a fairly unusual one and you can see the variations in it's spelling over various documents. There are likely other ones that you haven't even thought of.

I've noticed that the surname doesn't exist in the area on GV so who knows where the family originated.

To sum up, don't dismay. Even the very experienced of us with Irish records RARELY get back before 1800. Yes, you will have people who will tell you that they have but very little of it will be documented.

Keep trying, hop from one surname to another as sometimes revisiting a surname after a break gives new leads.

Tara

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 August 14 21:29 BST (UK) »

There must be some way to trace these relatives a little further back? Surely? I just feel like I must be doing it all wrong in my search for my Irish Family...

Cheers,

Nikkii

Your not doing anything wrong, your at the point most people can't pass. It's just possible there could be something in The National Library of Ireland but their records are not online yet.
http://www.nli.ie/en/parish-register.aspx

Have you tried to find a death, many people didn't have headstones and many are not online, many can no longer be read, but you might be lucky, interesting snippets of info can be picked up this way, often people are added by later generations who could afford a headstone.
See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=601142.0

You have to do a lot of lateral thinking with irish research.

Have you tried RootsIreland http://www.rootsireland.ie it's pay to view and only transcriptions, I just had a quick look and no joy but more care might yield something.

Griffith's Valuation http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/
I was thinking they might have been landlords so not so easy to find.
And Tithe Applotment Books
http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/home.jsp

Offline ronnier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 August 14 18:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,  Have you looked at the Family Search website there are quite a few Brudells listed for Strokestown in the 1800s.  There were Brudells living in Strokestown a couple of years ago anyhow and they are probably still there they had a pub.
Hope this helps
Ronnie

Offline Gabroses

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 November 15 16:51 GMT (UK) »
 Hi Nikki,

My aunt is a Brudell and would like you to get in touch with her. Let me know if you would like to or not?  She is interested in possibly contacting any male descendants of the Murrays.  The Brudells and the Murray's are closely linked.   Sorry but  do not want to post her private email address and not sure how to do this privately.  Thank you.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 November 15 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gabroses,
Nikki should get a email that there is a new post to this thread.
You are correct not to post a email address, it would be removed to protect against spamming etc.
Once you have 3 posts you will be able to use the private message system and can exchange email address than.