Author Topic: Are they gypsies?  (Read 93212 times)

Offline Pollynation

• RootsChat Senior
  • The picture that started it all
    • View Profile
Re: Are they gypsies?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 29 February 08 16:14 GMT (UK) »
It is very strange how some people dont like being reminded of who and what they are. Gypsy or not, i think a person should be proud of their ancestors and where they came from. Mine were mostly coal miners and cotton labourers.

I believe there is a little Gypsy blood in my line too, although i have never been able to prove this, but i have a great photo of a family member. I also know a gypsy from the same area, with the same surname that mine came from ( South Yorkshire) but there is no link.

Good luck with your research
Best wishes
Pauline

Atkinson/Mountney/Gardner/Mellor/Finch/Higham-Lancashire
Cooper/Price-Shropshire
Lund/Foster/Wilkinson/Crawforth-Yorkshire
Calvert-Durham

Whoever said seek and ye shall find was NOT a genealogist.

Offline wood_gnome

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 29 February 08 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pollynation, I know lots of gypsies in Leeds. I know the Smiths, Cunninghams, James, Lees, Buxtons, Lowthers, Dohertys and Dorans.
Vickers, Hunter, Stewart, Allen,Taylor, Page, Galloway, Jowett, Croft, Stocks, Harrison, Furbank, Grey -
Yorkshire
Banks, Stewart, Allen, McHugh, Bluett, Casey - Lancashire                      
Hunter,Stewart, Armstrong - Cumbria

Offline wood_gnome

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 13 March 08 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Update. On my Grandfather's and Grandmother's marriage certificate it says they were living at 11 Winker Green. I've since been in contact with someone who's mother lived at Winker Green at the same time and his mother said she remembers the Hunter family she said they lived in a caravan on Brick Field behind the houses at Winker Green she said they moved in to number 11 after their caravan caught fire and their child died in the fire. 
Vickers, Hunter, Stewart, Allen,Taylor, Page, Galloway, Jowett, Croft, Stocks, Harrison, Furbank, Grey -
Yorkshire

Offline welsh lady

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 13 March 08 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone my Great Aunt visited today a very young 94,and was interested in what was said on this thread,And wanted me to put in a little note of what she remembers when she was a child.Her Father was a Romani although her Mother was not.She was brought up in a caravan until she was 12.They travelled around looking for work.
It is not only Gaje(Non Romani People) who looked down on other" Gypsy "Familes.Her Father would never ever call himself a Gypsy he was a Roma from Romani descent and there for in his eyes not the same as the Irish Travellers or Travellers from anywhere else.However Tinker was also used as a deragatory word  back then to.Also Romani have their own language .She recalls her Father was a very proud man you never took charity ,you were always smartly turned out,Her hair and her sisters braided at all times, and the caravan was spotless and very ornate lots of brass and ornaments and  he would not Trust anyone outside the Romani people as they were not treated very nicely outside the camps that they use to stay at.However once her Father died and her Mother remarried she was never allowed to speak Romani or mention her roots to anyone.Hopefully times have changed.

Welsh Lady
This information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Amor/Amer-Bromham Wiltshire,Hertfordshire,Suffolk.
Pyett-Suffolk
Wolfenden-Cambridgeshire,Huntingdonshire
Bird,Nash-Essex.
Anderson,-London.Bethnal Green,Shoreditch,Hackney
King-,Uxbridge,Shoreditch,Bethnal Green
Edwards,Roberts,Lane,Price,Williams-Llanelli.
Roberts-Pembroke Dock

Offline wood_gnome

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 14 March 08 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Welsh Lady, in the sixties I was sat in my Grandmother's house and she was watching the local news and Tommy Doherty came on claiming to be King of the Gypsies, my Grandmother jumped out of her chair and started shouting at the TV saying your nothing but a bunch of Hedgehoppers and some other words that I couldn't understand it was like a foreign language to me, I said he can't hear you, she was in her seventies then. She died when she was 94.
Yorkshire

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 18 March 08 20:37 GMT (UK) »
darling you definately sound like one of us.i hope youll be proud of the fact.i dont know much about the traveeler up north but i know a man who deoes.he may even have details of some of your family.youd be surprised at the amount of paperwork i have managed to find on my gypsy family including wills and the cencus people usually caught up with them aswell.they also have birth marriage and death certs.so tracing them is not so difficult.try romanygenes blank page.leave a message on there.youd be surprised what turns up from that alone.in the meantime i will contact my friend and see if he has any info.i will get back to you.love cathayb
birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 18 March 08 20:39 GMT (UK) »
p.s.i live on a romany site in somerset and we have dorans living here.they are lovely people.regards cathayb

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 19 March 08 21:04 GMT (UK) »
My family were Romany Gypsies - altho they wouldnt use the latter word. My great Grandad settled in a brick house in 1906, he was a horse dealer,and as the horse trade died off he turned his hand to scrap merchanting but still kept a hold of the horse business. My late uncle used to help out in the stables. But today all that is left is what would be called a gorgio family. But in our veins run black blood, we look like Gray gypsies, and I am extremely proud of my heritage, and I dnt care what others say about that.

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 19 March 08 21:21 GMT (UK) »
my family wont use the g word either.personally i dont mind.but to the rest of the family we are romanies or travellers.i still live on a romany site.we are birches/taylors/hughes and probably alot more besides.there is class distinction even among the gypsies!!!i dont know.i wish everyone would get along.its nice to meet people proud of their ethnicity anyway.regards cathayb