Author Topic: Traveller musicians  (Read 36227 times)

Offline PollyB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Traveller musicians
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 24 September 08 14:16 BST (UK) »
Hi kdc650,

I'm new to this website, and just saw your message.  I have two relatives on your  list of Travelling Musicians - Walter Joseph Gage and his father-in-law Elias Draper.  I know quite a lot about them, not sure if that's what you're after.

Offline CitizenSmith

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 24 September 08 17:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Pollyb

I have a lot on Elias Draper and the Gages too, as I collect all references to Gypsy/fairground Drapers.

So I'd be very interested to hear what you have on them - and pleased to share all my info too.

Sharon   
Smith - East Anglia & Lancashire
Taylor - East Anglia
Draper
Hope
Shaw
Gray
Boswell
Lovell
Robinson
Chilcott
All Blackpool Gypsies
"Royal Epping Forest Gypsies": ball-giving group
"Borrow's Gypsies": the people that the novelist George Borrow (1803-1881) knew and wrote about

Offline PollyB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 September 08 12:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon,

I'm really new at the Rootschat thing so not quite sure how it all works yet.  I'd be happy to share my info with you, which is limited to my family tree research and family stories, but I am directly descended from Elias Draper and Walter Gage so may have something of interest to you. 

Pollyb

Offline Hodgkiss

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 29 September 08 19:02 BST (UK) »
I am directly related to :

Henry Boswell
&
Israel Smith

But i dont know if i can be much help.

I do however have some family members who did play instruments in Wolverhampton. The hodgkiss tribe, they was Musician Street Pianists, and Barrell Organ players.

But you don't seem to have the hodgkiss's listed, so im not sure if i can be help there either....

All the best,
Gary
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RomanyRoser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 05:47 BST (UK) »
Hi There to you all and in particular, the person with the name SWIFT in their family tree. They are most certainly Romany and  thought you may like the entries that I have in my research into Gypsy Families in UK. I am researching Gypsy Convicts who were transported to Australia and If you could send me the details of your convict I would apprecite it. Robert Dawson, in his book Ä Romany In The Family (ISBN 1-903418-27-5) states that the Swift family were in the UK  at least from 1608-1866 (int) at DBY, GLS, MON, NTH, SOM, SRY & WAR. I have them in Surrey in 1907. My entries are as follows,
SWIFT Dorothy May born 25.7.1906  daughter of Joseph and Alice Mary (Hawker) Ash, Surrey (Gypsies Passing Through)
SWIFT Olive Daisy born 26.10.1907  daughter of Joseph and Alice Mary (Hawker)  Ash, Surrey (Gypsies Passing Through)
SWIFT Thomas born 18.11.1860 son of Joseph and Hannah Travelling (Hawker)  Ash, Surrey (Gypsies Passing Through) . Hope it helps- Roser

Offline thegasman

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Traveller musicians/Flexney
« Reply #14 on: Monday 15 December 08 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve!

A few members of the Flexney family were musicians.

(The children of Edward and Mary Flexney.)

Edward (1825) played,and his son,Edward (1849) was a 'professor of music'.

Charles(Richard) played,and John played too.

Daniel Flexney,I don't think, played an instrument,but his grandaughter, Nelly Searle,my grandmother, was an Assosiate Member of the Victoria College of Music,London,when she was 14.

Regards,

Neil (Mills)

Offline RomanyRoser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 16 December 08 00:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have an ancestor who is described as being a musican or "Professor of the Violin" on various census. There is also evidence of boxing running through the family and I have often wondered if they were Romany. 2 children disappeared from records as did their mother (one I think was sent to Australia for theft), although she possibly was moved from parish to parish.
They were Swifts. Do let me know if you want anymore details.

I would like the Info on the family member who was sent to Australia, if that's okay- Romany Roser

Offline kdc650

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 07 February 09 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to everyone who has responded to my plea. I apologise for not having replied sooner. Various distractions, including family deaths and serious illnesses, and not the least of which was a small stroke I had last year. But I will now slowly work my way through all these interesting replies, hoping I remain in good standing. As ever, I am always willing to share my own material with all who ask.

More soon,

Keith C

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 09 February 09 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to hear you not been well Keith. Get well soon hunny x