Author Topic: Alfred John Arthur ROWE born Alderney  (Read 7324 times)

Offline HistoryFan

• RootsChat Member
  • My Great Grandmother
    • View Profile
Alfred John Arthur ROWE born Alderney
« on: Sunday 31 January 10 05:03 GMT (UK) »
I would like to clarify the parentage of my ancestor ALFRED JOHN ARTHUR ROWE if possible.

He was born in Alderney Channel Islands on 8th July 1880.  His mother was named AMELIA JANE ROWE who was born in Alderney in 1863.

He is illegitimate but I wondered if a father's name appears on his birth record at all?.

Some years ago when I initially looked into his birth I was advised his name was ALFRED JOHN DOTHER ROWE not ARTHUR.  So it would be great to clarify which of those middle names were accurate.

At some point after his birth AMELIA moves to Guernsey with her sister MATILDA and they are found on the 1881 Census living at 31 Cornet Street, St Peter Port Guernsey, but as ROW rather than ROWE (I was only reading an article from the Guernsey Press recently that talked about this street being known for it's 'ill repute' and that number 30 Cornet Street was a brothel by 1908).

AMELIA died aged 20 of TB and ALFRED ROWE is taken care of by MATILDA ROWE.

He appears on the 1891 Census with MATILDA her husband JOSEPH LAINE (who she married in 1886) and appears as ALFRED LAINE rather than ROWE.  He did however use ROWE as his surname throughout his life.

I am unable to find the whereabouts of little ALFRED ROWE at the time of the 1881 Census though.

Any input gratefully received.
Holmes, Loveridge, Le Cheminant, White, Camp, Dennis, Beauchamp, Allen, Green, Legg, Symes, Mitchell, Rowe, Robin, Robert, Romeril, Cardinale

Offline weirdfish

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ALFRED JOHN ARTHUR ROWE BORN ALDERNEY
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Alfred John Arthur Rowe was my granddad. He was illegitimate and born in Alderney on 02 July 1880 to Emily Rowe. He died on 17 July 1962 aged 82 years. He was married twoce, and his last marriage was to Bertha Hall who gave birth to four children of which my mum was one. If you want more infomration then just email me as I know a bit more about the children and what happened to them. Hope this helps  :)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi wierdfish welcome to RootsChat

If HistoryFan wishes to contact you by PM facility  (in case you have details of the living/maybe/living /recently deceased) It is RootsChat policy to not post details of the living/maybe living on the public boards (identity theft etc)

So if you just make 2 replies then you are all set for when HistoryFan comes back online

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline HistoryFan

• RootsChat Member
  • My Great Grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello weirdfish,

Thanks for popping in.  Alfred was my Great Grandfather and his first wife
Ida was my Great Grandmother.

I was trying to go backwards with this search.  Aware that he was the illegitimate son of Amelia Rowe of Alderney.  I was unable to trace him on the 1881 Census anywhere (believe there are gaps with Alderney Census), yet Amelia and her sister Matilda were in Guernsey at that time.

Feel free to PM though, that would be great.

Many thanks

Hi

Alfred John Arthur Rowe was my granddad. He was illegitimate and born in Alderney on 02 July 1880 to Emily Rowe. He died on 17 July 1962 aged 82 years. He was married twoce, and his last marriage was to Bertha Hall who gave birth to four children of which my mum was one. If you want more infomration then just email me as I know a bit more about the children and what happened to them. Hope this helps  :)
Holmes, Loveridge, Le Cheminant, White, Camp, Dennis, Beauchamp, Allen, Green, Legg, Symes, Mitchell, Rowe, Robin, Robert, Romeril, Cardinale

Offline HistoryFan

• RootsChat Member
  • My Great Grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 May 13 01:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Weirdfish, if you pop in here and make another posting I will be able to send you a Personal Message.

I would love to know more about Alf's second marriage to Bertha Hall.  I noticed that 5 children were born from this union and that one son died in 1962, I would love to know what happened to the remaining siblings.

Do you have a date for Alf and Bertha's Wedding?  My own Great Grandmother Alf's first wife died on 3 March 1921.

Look forward to hearing from you.