Author Topic: **COMPLETED** Marjory MULLIGAN 1918 from Lochee  (Read 9149 times)

Offline Lauren11

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: **COMPLETED** Marjory MULLIGAN 1918 from Lochee
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 January 11 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi jmg1983 i randomly came about this website and your message when looking for some information on my Dad's family, our name is Mulligan and he was from Dundee (born 1949). I recently went to the War Memorial in Edinburgh castle and found some Mulligan's that had served in the Black watch in the first world war (from what i can gather a number of my Dad's family served in the Black watch) and was interested to find out if they were related to myself. Unfortunately i lost contact with my Dad's family after he died in 1997 so am unable to ask anyone for any information. What i did find out though from the Commonwelth war graves commision is that one of the men, a Charles Mulligan was married to Catherine Kerrigan Mulligan and they lived at number 215 Lochee Road Dundee and was wondering what connection there was to the Marjory Mulligan you're looking for who was born 3 years after Charles Mulligan's death.   

Lauren

Offline LocheeRoadKerrigan

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 17 January 11 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi jmg1893,

I happened to be looking up Kerrigans and Mulligans and after seeing your blog unsure if my information is of interest.  Catherine (aka Kate) Kerrigan was my great aunt.  If this is the same one, I met her in 1974, she was in her early 90s.

Are you sure his name was Charles Mulligan?  I have information that Kate Kerrigan married a Michael or John Mulligan (Michael rings more bells for my father) and they lived at 215 Lochee Road.  They had 2 children George and Marie.  George married an Italian lady, Elder.  They had 1 child, Angela.  Marie married Andy Andrews. They had 2 children Cormack and Rena.

Catherine's brother William (my grandfather) lived at 227 Lochee Road.  She also had sisters Esther, Rose and Agnes.

Offline jmg1893

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 17 January 11 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lauren11,

I'm not sure whether the mulligan's that you are interested in are related to the Mulligan family related to my mothers uncle William McKenzie.  Unfortunately because William McKenzie died when a U boat sunk his ship shortly after his marriage I haven't taken research into the Mulligan's any further.

However Lochee was known locally for it's strong Irish community that came over to work in the jute mills.  I would think that there may well be numerous Mulligan's in the Lochee area.  Another part of my family also have Mulligan's as ancestor's.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/legacies/immig_emig/scotland/perth_tayside/article_1.shtml

Sorry I can't be any help, however it may well be looking at LocheeRoadKerrigan's post that they may well be able to help.

Good Luck
Gordon, McCulloch

Offline Viz501

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 15 May 14 19:46 BST (UK) »
I know it's a couple of years since these posts were put up, but I thought I'd post some info in the hope that it may still be of help. I'm researching my husband's family tree and found the posts when I doing a random Google search this afternoon for 215 Lochee Road.
I have a copy of a marriage certificate for Charles Mulligan and Catherine Kerrigan of which I have done a basic transcription.

Marriage
17 July 1912
St Marys Chapel, Lochee
Charles Mulligan Calender Worker age 24
44 Polepark Road
Parents: George Mulligan and Maria Mulligan (can’t make out the maiden name)
Catherine Kerrigan Jute Winder age 24
215 Lochee Road
Parents: William Kerrigan and Mary Kerrigan m.s. McFarland
Witnesses John Mulligan and Esther Kerrigan

Esther Kerrigan was my husband’s grandmother.

This info may not be needed any more but it may help someone else in the future.

Happy hunting!