Author Topic: Dundee Howff and other cemeteries  (Read 7733 times)

Offline Suzy W

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The only way forward is backwards
    • View Profile
Re: Dundee Howff and other cemeteries
« Reply #9 on: Friday 06 June 14 00:21 BST (UK) »
Danzx,
Can you tell me if the surname was recorded would there be some detail on who is in the grave site?
Howff has  Lyall under 493/2, 1420-2
I would be most interested to know who they are as my major brickwall is the Lyall's of Dundee.

Suzy W
TEW family of Leire/Leicester and New Zealand
MERRICKS of Stafford/Birmingham
PENTECOST of Surrey and New Zealand
POTENTIER of France, England and Canada
WATKINS of London and New Zealand
WHITAKER of Guiseley Yorkshire and New Zealand
LYALL, of Dundee, Caithness and New Zealand

And far too many to add

Offline Dazx

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 06 June 14 01:04 BST (UK) »
Danzx,
Can you tell me if the surname was recorded would there be some detail on who is in the grave site?
Howff has  Lyall under 493/2, 1420-2
I would be most interested to know who they are as my major brickwall is the Lyall's of Dundee.

Suzy W

Unfortunately I don't have that information as I've only recorded what is written on the headstones as photographed. Did you have a look at the relevant pages in the memorial tables ? The numbers on the headstones also do not represent a plot as such as they were added when the ground was tidied up in 1838-39 by Mr Peter Dron the then Hospital Master that looked after the grounds. On top of which in this tidying up the memorials were moved around to form more orderly rows.
493/2 has the names Smart, Norval, Lyall, Wyatt and 1420/2 has Reekei, Mackay and Lyall. If there has been any additional burials in the plot/plots I couldn't tell you. It maybe possible to obtain the information via the burials registers.

Offline breaky

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 07 June 14 17:38 BST (UK) »
Oh -  the Angus MI's pre 1855 - list their Howff inscriptions using just the same numbers as Danzx has on his marvellous site:

493/2  "James Smart mert Dundee 26.3.1798 51, w Ann Norval 3.7.1834 75.  Mary Eleanor Lyall 16.8.1844 43, h lieut John Smart RN.  Mary Wyatt 21.12.1845 75 widow of the late capt Wm Lyall RN.  John Norval Smart lieut Royal Navy 8.2.1846 57.  The above are all interred here.  lieut John Smart, 1s Geo M L 7.4.1850 19, 2s Jas N who left Calcutta 3.2.1876 on a voyage to Demerara in command of ship "Lammermuir" which is supposed to be lost with all on board."

1420/2  "1833. by Agnes, Jean, Cath & Margt Reekie imo fa Geo Reekie late tent Darzie Mills Fife d 25.5.1808 47, sisters Isabell 1795 7y, Betsey 1814 20, Euphemy 1828 28, mo Agnes Mackay 29.6.1829 68 (bro John Mackie (sic) 22.11.1849 79).  Above Cath Reekie 15.6.1838 42, chn John Lyall d inf, Johnston Lyall d inf, Betsy Lyall 4.6.1843 20, John Lyall d Santa Cruz, West Indies 18.3.1856 20.  Agnes Reekie 5.12.1856 66, h Jas Davidson, Lochend".

(the two different spellings for Betsey/Betsy are as given in the book, as is the '(sic)' after 'Mackie')

Hope this helps.

Offline Dazx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 07 June 14 18:21 BST (UK) »
Oh -  the Angus MI's pre 1855 - list their Howff inscriptions using just the same numbers as Danzx has on his marvellous site:

The reasoning for that is the majority of headstones have a number chiselled into the south facing edge. And regarding Betsy and Betsey, Betsey is as it has been carved on the headstone, its interesting how many variations you can find with spelling of names, whether its correct or not is a different matter :)
There is slightly more information in the SGS volume as to what is written below the last entry for Betsey Lyall on my site because this is no longer visible and I am unable to reproduce this due to copyright reasons.

Offline Suzy W

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The only way forward is backwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 07 June 14 22:17 BST (UK) »
Most interesting.
Why I ask for any Lyall names on headstones in Dundee is because my ggg grandfather William Lyall was said to be a orphan by the age of ten (he was born 1830)  One census result (if him) a William Lyall age ten is living with the Witton family in Dundee.
I will take note of those names given below

Suzy W
TEW family of Leire/Leicester and New Zealand
MERRICKS of Stafford/Birmingham
PENTECOST of Surrey and New Zealand
POTENTIER of France, England and Canada
WATKINS of London and New Zealand
WHITAKER of Guiseley Yorkshire and New Zealand
LYALL, of Dundee, Caithness and New Zealand

And far too many to add

Offline breaky

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 08 June 14 23:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Dazx, for the reason for the numbering system for the Howff gravestones.  Feel I may have been skating close to the copyright limitation in my earlier reply...

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 09:21 GMT (UK) »

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 09:28 GMT (UK) »
its interesting how many variations you can find with spelling of names, whether its correct or not is a different matter :)
The concept of 'correct spelling' is more or less a 20th century invention. Before about 1900, there was no such thing as 'correct or 'incorrect' spelling. There were lots of ways to spell the same word or name, though probably more variants with names than with common words.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.