Author Topic: Lookup please Edward Straughan 1841 census  (Read 6510 times)

Offline percy porter

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Alan NZ
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup please Edward Straughan 1841 census
« Reply #9 on: Friday 19 December 08 20:46 GMT (UK) »
A big thank you to all who have contributed, it is rather appropriate to have got this information at this time as Robert Straughans Great Great Grandson Robert Straughan is over here from Newcastle and is spending Xmas and New Year with us.

He is over the moon with the information you have supplied

Thanks heaps

Robert Straughan and Alan NZ
Britton:Hawkins: London
Stephenson: Cox: London
Straughan: Sweeney: Newcastle/Durham
Liddell: Hobson:Newcastle/Durham
Horne:Oxfordshire/ Bienfait/Winnipeg
Voss: Dorset

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 19 December 08 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Glad to help, do you need the other census or do you already have those?

Barbara  :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 19 December 08 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello! Do you have any ancestors buried at Longbenton Cemetery? I have a set of fiche with those burials. If you would like any look ups, don't hesitate to ask!  :)  Happy Christmas!  Pat
ARCHIBALD/ARCHBALD: Tweedmouth, NBL; CHARLTON: Ponteland, NBL;
ERRINGTON: West Denton, NBL; 
FAIRLESS: Longbenton, NBL;
HARDING: Hollinside, Co. Durham;
KING: Newcastle-on-Tyne & Berwickshire;
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;
PAULIN: Berwickshire; REAY, Ponteland, NBL;
SCOTT: Norham, NBL; SELBY: Tweedmouth, NBL;
SLIGH: Berwickshire; SPOOR: Whickham & Ryton;
WIDDRINGTON: NBL

Offline percy porter

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Alan NZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 20 December 08 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Barbara, I probably would like other lookups but with Xmas and the newyear and a host of family/friends from England, Germany and Korea I am a bit "otherwise engaged" as you can imagine.

Pat.....I am not sure if any are interened at Longbenton, if you have an alphabetical list and there are any Straughans or Kirtleys there I would certainly be interested.

Again thanks to all

Alan NZ
Britton:Hawkins: London
Stephenson: Cox: London
Straughan: Sweeney: Newcastle/Durham
Liddell: Hobson:Newcastle/Durham
Horne:Oxfordshire/ Bienfait/Winnipeg
Voss: Dorset

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 20 December 08 01:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello Alan, The Longbenton fiche I have has MANY births listed; HOWEVER, I could find only one death: William Straughan son of George & Elizabeth his wife (nee: Bell) died 5 years 4 months August 7, 1806.  For Kirtley - a similar situation: only found two deaths: William Kirtley of Benton d. 25 May 1793 and Elizabeth WEEMS of East Benton Colliery d. April 8, 1799 age 5 years - d. of Thomas Weems and his wife (late) Mary Kirtley...Do any of these seem to have a connection?  I could pursue the births if you think this time frame could be of help.  Happy Christmas  ;D  Pat
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;

Offline danmacbet

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 20 December 08 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Greetings, I am a new member of this forum as it was brought to my attention by a fellow member of this forum....  thank you Michael Dixon.  I would like to request that Pat (patrexjax), a poster on this forum, please return to the Longbenton burial fiche and look for further STRAUGHAN burial entries indexed under the surname: STRACHAN/STRAFFIN/STRAFFAN/STRAFFEN all possible variant forms of STRAUGHAN. I am a descendant of George STRAUGHAN, b/b 1809 Longbenton, NBL the brother of the referenced William STRAUGHAN, s/o George & Elizabeth STRAUGHAN (nee BELL), who was buried Longbenton, 7 August 1806. I would like to get in contact with anyone who is researching this particular STRAUGHAN ancestry or one of it's branches.  Bette McIntosh (USA) 

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 21 December 08 04:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello Bette, Welcome to Rootschat!  ;D  Sorry for the delay in responding, but I was out doing some holiday preparations.  In reference to your STRAUGHAN request - The fiche I have only covers Baptisms, marriages and Burials at Longbenton from 1723-1812..... :'(   However, just for the record, your George's christening is listed as 20 Aug 1809 and that he was the third son of George and Elizabeth. George's occupation was "bank man" and he was a native of Wallsend; his wife, Elizabeth (nee: Bell) is listed as a native of Horton. I do also have PRE-1851 MI's for LongBenton and there are NO STRAUGHANs or variants listed in that time frame...  I am so sorry that my information will not seem to help you at this point in time.  If any of my references may assist you in the future, please so not hesitate to contact me. May I take this opportunity to wish you and yours a happy holiday season. Pat

Offline Green-Bowler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 31 December 08 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello Percy,
I have Edward Straughan in my tree, b. Jan 1778 in Ancroft, Northumberland, England. Children Barbara, Elizabeth, Margaret, Edward, William, Thomasin.

If you pm me with your email addy I will send you all I have on my Straughan's and we can compare trees.

bowler

Offline Green-Bowler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 18 April 14 19:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Alan, (Percy), If your still on rootschat Edward Straughan was my 3xgrandfather. get in touch with me and we can cpmpare..

Edward Straughan possibly born March qtr Alnwick 1839.
Shown 1881 census as age 39 born Rock, Northumberland which is in the Alnwick registration district.

In that census he is living at Palmers Ville, Longbenton I would be interested to see also if he is living in susbsequent census in the same area.

Alan NZ