Author Topic: Benjamin Best (1776 - 1862), Corfe Mullen, Dorset  (Read 2262 times)

Offline sbrown

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Benjamin Best (1776 - 1862), Corfe Mullen, Dorset
« on: Monday 03 February 14 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have a Benjamin Best in my family tree who married an Anne Bartlet(t) in April 1803 in Corfe Mullen.

In the 1851 and 1861 Census his birth place is shown as Lytchett, Dorset and give his birth year as 1776 / 1777.

There is a baptism record for a Benjamin Best in Jul 1776 son of William and Martha in Durweston, Dorset.   

There are a lot of family trees that assign this baptism record to my Benjamin Best despite the discrepancy in place of baptism and place of birth in the Census returns.

I'm not so sure as there is also a burial record for a Benjamin Best in Durweston in August 1815 age 39 which would match the baptism record. 

I have found a baptism record for a Benjamin Best Gerrard base born son of Mary Gerrard in 1776 in Lytchett Minster which I feel is a more likely match.

Any information on descendants of either of these baptism records that might allow me to confirm or disprove a match would be welcome.

Thanks

Stephen

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin Best (1776 - 1862), Corfe Mullen, Dorset
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 February 14 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.

There is a Benjamin Best marrying in 1802 in Durweston who seems much more like the other Benjamin.

There appear to be two baptismal entries for your Benjamin, and the second one just says:
Benjamin Best (base born) of Corfe Mullen   22 Sep  (no mention of a mother). The one that does mention Mary Gerrard still calls him Benjamin Best I think.

Benjamin and Ann Bartlet published banns in 1799, so they clearly took their time to get married.

There are three Bests having children around 1776 in Lytchett Minster (Henry, a miller, in 1775; Joshua in 1790; and Benjamin in 1781). Given the names of your Benjamin's children (and the dates) I would have thought Joshua or Benjamin were strong contenders to be the father.

Joshua's will is available here:
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=D919716

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 February 14 20:27 GMT (UK) »
This may be a red herring but Benjamin and Ann had a child called Charles Attwell Best in 1808. Two years later a Benjamin Best witnessed the marriage in Corfe Mullen between James Allen and Ann Attwell. Ann may be the brother of Charles At(t)well (c1785-1851) who died in Corfe Mullen.

James Allen was the son of Henry Allen and Ann Best (1757-1795), she being the daughter of Benjamin Best of Wimborne Minster. Oddly Henry Allen's mother was born Ann Bartlett, but I think that really is just a co-incidence (as the other names might be as well).

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sbrown

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 February 14 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for those bits of information.  Very helpful.  I'm more convinced now that my Benjamin Best is not the one christened in Durweston.