Author Topic: Mackay - Kilmuir Skye  (Read 5892 times)

Offline GDub71

• RootsChat Member
  • Miaow¬
    • View Profile
Mackay - Kilmuir Skye
« on: Tuesday 30 August 11 19:31 BST (UK) »
I'm interested in anyone having Mackay connections with the Kilmuir district on Skye, particularly the far North around Shulista, Clachan and Balmacqueen. My ancestor Neil Mackay and Janet Beaton were still living in Shulista in 1881. Neil was born in Balmacqueen circa 1842. His parents were Kenneth Mackay and Catherine MacDonald. Kenneth was a crofter born circa 1802. He and his family are at Balmacqueen in both the 41 and 51 Censuses. They had 11 children that I know of.

Kenneth died at Balmacqueen in 1863 and his death certificate names his parents as Neil Mackay and Marion Munro. The 1851 Census gives his birthplace as Stensholl, about 10km to the South.

There are only a few other Mackays in the North part of the island in 1841, any of whom could easily be connected.

In Balmacqueen:
Lachlan Mackay, Crofter, Aged 30 and wife Catherine Ross with 5 children.

In Shulista:
William Mackay, Ag Lab, Aged 85 and a John Aged 30 and Catherine Aged 25.
Donald Mackay, Ag Lab, Aged 40, wife Margaret and 4 children.

In Kendram:
Kenneth Mackay, Crofter, Aged 60 and wife Margaret, daughter Ann.
Norman Mackay, Crofter, Aged 55 and wife Catherine and 6 children.

I think this Kenneth could be an Uncle of my Kenneth, but all of these Mackays were born at Kilmuir, whereas mine was allegedly born at Stensholl, so maybe he was an incomer to the area?

If anyone can help out with this lot or has anything to add, please do so!
Banffshire - WILSON, RIACH, CALDER, MUIRY, PETERKIN, CRAIB, OGG, CRUICKSHANK, FARQUHAR, COPLAND, HAY, SHAW, HIND, STRATHDEE, MORRISON, WISEMAN, MOIR, MILNE, SHEPHERD, BLACK, BRUCE, RAMSAY, PEARSON, MCPHERSON, SHEED, MCANDIE
Morayshire - MAVER, RAMSAY, PHINN, SIMPSON
Aberdeenshire - MCINTOSH, GILLAN
Kincardineshire - DUTHIE
Ross-shire - MCANGUS, MCKENZIE, TARRELL,
Inverness-shire - MACKAY, FERGUSON, MACCUISH, BEATON, GILLIES, MACDONALD, MACVICAR, MACDIARMID
Louth - KIERAN, KANE, ENGLISHBY, FEGAN

Offline Bella-mac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mackay - Kilmuir Skye
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 September 13 10:58 BST (UK) »
I'm interested in anyone having Mackay connections with the Kilmuir district on Skye, particularly the far North around Shulista, Clachan and Balmacqueen. My ancestor Neil Mackay and Janet Beaton were still living in Shulista in 1881. Neil was born in Balmacqueen circa 1842. His parents were Kenneth Mackay and Catherine MacDonald. Kenneth was a crofter born circa 1802. He and his family are at Balmacqueen in both the 41 and 51 Censuses. They had 11 children that I know of.

Kenneth died at Balmacqueen in 1863 and his death certificate names his parents as Neil Mackay and Marion Munro. The 1851 Census gives his birthplace as Stensholl, about 10km to the South.
I am also descended from the Mackay family at kilmuir my great grandfather was Alexander MacKay
There are only a few other Mackays in the North part of the island in 1841, any of whom could easily be connected.

In Balmacqueen:

In Shulista:

In Kendram:

I think this Kenneth could be an Uncle of my Kenneth, but all of these Mackays were born at Kilmuir, whereas mine was allegedly born at Stensholl, so maybe he was an incomer to the area?

I'm interested in anyone having Mackay connections with the Kilmuir district on Skye, particularly the far North around Shulista, Clachan and Balmacqueen. My ancestor Neil Mackay and Janet Beaton
were still living in Shulista in 1881. Neil was born in Balmacqueen circa 1842. His parents were Kenneth Mackay and Catherine MacDonald. Kenneth was a crofter born circa 1802. He and his family are at Balmacqueen in both the 41 and 51 Censuses. They had 11 children that I know of.

In Balmacqueen:

In Shulista:

In Kendram:

I am also descended from the Mackay family and still live on the Isle of Skye - my great grand uncle was Alexander Mackay brother of Neil -Alexander married Flora MacFie from Balmacqueen ... My tree is on www.genesconnected.co.uk

Offline GDub71

• RootsChat Member
  • Miaow¬
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 September 13 08:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Bella-mac,

Do you mean Genes Reunited?

Graham
Banffshire - WILSON, RIACH, CALDER, MUIRY, PETERKIN, CRAIB, OGG, CRUICKSHANK, FARQUHAR, COPLAND, HAY, SHAW, HIND, STRATHDEE, MORRISON, WISEMAN, MOIR, MILNE, SHEPHERD, BLACK, BRUCE, RAMSAY, PEARSON, MCPHERSON, SHEED, MCANDIE
Kincardineshire - DUTHIE
Inverness-shire - MACKAY, FERGUSON, MACCUISH, BEATON, GILLIES, MACDONALD, MACVICAR, MACDIARMID

Offline Bella-mac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 September 13 10:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Bella-mac,

Do you mean Genes Reunited?

Graham
Hello Graham yes I do mean Genes Reunited - are you on there too ? 
Marion.

Offline GDub71

• RootsChat Member
  • Miaow¬
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 September 13 19:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Marion,

I have my tree on there, but I don't have membership at the moment so I wouldn't be able to see your tree. I'll PM you my E-Mail address so we talk more about it.
Kincardineshire - DUTHIE

Offline anabanana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 January 14 17:37 GMT (UK) »
in my tree I have a lady in my family who married a Mackay in that area

Betsey MacLeod m Alexander Mackay 1859 Kilmuir Manse. Children:-

- James
- Christina
- Mary
- Catherine
- Flora
- Kate
- Anne
- Hugh

They lived at Balmaqueen, and Alexander was a farmer/crofter.