Author Topic: Grant of Glenmoriston "Roy/ Ruadh" descent  (Read 3002 times)

Offline Joy Weaver

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Grant of Glenmoriston "Roy/ Ruadh" descent
« on: Sunday 29 September 13 14:50 BST (UK) »
My husband descends from a Glenmoriston Grant line who settled after the American Revolution in Glengarry County, Ontario, Canada.  The first son born in Canada (in 1799) was known as James Roy Grant and his eldest son, Alexander James Grant was called "Alex Jim Roy."
I've been looking at the history of the Grants of Glenmoriston and see that the designation Roy or Ruadh goes back to the 15th century (Ian Ruadh Grant/ John Roy Grant, Sheriff of Inverness), but no lineage is online through succeeding generations beyond his son Patrick Mac Ian Roy Grant who died in 1508, apparently leaving a son called Patrick Reoch.
What I'm wondering is whether the "Roy" designation could have continued down to the 18th century in descendants of this Patrick Reoch or as a way of identifying Grants who lived on this family's estate.  Or is it simply a coincidental name? 

Offline GR73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Grant of Glenmoriston "Roy/ Ruadh" descent
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 September 18 14:36 BST (UK) »
I would encourage your husband to do a Y-DNA test on Family Tree DNA website to 67 markers to see if he matches and Roy's or Grants.

Regards

Greg Roy

Offline Joy Weaver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Grant of Glenmoriston "Roy/ Ruadh" descent
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 September 18 15:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks  for  the  suggestion, but  he  did that  years ago. This line  comes down  from  a  female  ancestor, though.