Author Topic: Searching for Beacom families  (Read 27945 times)

Offline Beacom

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for Beacom families
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 15 May 10 23:40 BST (UK) »
Hi there, I will most certainly make contact with Mrs. Beacom from Corick House. Thank you so much for the link. I have a feeling that the Beacom that went to the USA was James.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/08ou/

Pretty co-incidental that a James Beacom from Irvinestown should arrive in the 'States in 1909.

Moderator Comment: URL modified. See tips in Help pages- Topic: Shrinking Very Long Website Links

Offline Beacom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 16 May 10 00:06 BST (UK) »
Ok. I have just e-mailed Mrs. Beacom at Corick House. I have since discovered that there are actually THREE different branches of the Beacom family in Northern Ireland. These are the Irvinestown, Enniskillen & Lisbellaw Beacom families. Apparently people have conducted research on these three families and no connection between the three has been found. I have been advised though that although the highest concentration of the Beacom family is in Co.Fermanagh BUT that the Beacom name isn't a hugely common name either. Based on the supposition that there is no link between these three 'clans' but also the uncommonness of the surname that there HAS to be a link SOMEWHERE down the line.

All the best,

Gregg

Offline kooky

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 26 January 11 09:01 GMT (UK) »
RKL
I have only just discovered your post.
I am descended from Mary Jones. She was the mother of Matilda, known as Etty.
Matilda married George Fisher. They were my gt gr parents.
I understand that Mary's maiden name was Beacom. Her parents were James Beacom and Sarah Brown. Is there a marriage record?
Mary and Thomas Jones had at least 8 children between  1831 and 1843.
Have you any idea when they moved to Manchester from Enniskillen?
I have them in the 1851 census, but as Ellen and Etty were born in Enniskillen in 1843, I will not be able to find them in the English 1841 census.
Kooky
Clulo - Staffs.,Warwickshire, Lancs.1780 -1950
Fisher- Nafferton,Hull, Manchester.1770-1840-1950
Kane&McNeill,Forkhill, Armagh and Glasgow,Bray Dublin.1850s -1920
Boshell and Dowzard- Dublin, 1840s -1911
Kay/Bremner Edinburgh 1800 - 1841.Kay Staffs.& Lancs1842 -1901
Kay - Newcastle on Tyne 1780-1861
Swindell, Marple & Manchester 1900->
Makinson, M/c & Prestwich 1870 ->
Beacom/Jones - Enniskillen 1780 ->

Offline Brisgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 00:10 GMT (UK) »
I'm searching for my Beacom ancestors as well..

Isabella (my g-g-grandmother) born c. 1834, her sisters Jane born c. 1840 and Margaret born c 1842, parents John and Rebecca, nee Mitchell.

Isabella states on her marriage certificate (to Thomas Hewson in Ararat, Victoria, Australia in 1870) that she was born in Tyrone and that her father John was a farmer.

There are two farmers listed in the Griffiths Valuations, one in Relagh, Kilskeery, Tyrone and the other in Glasmullagh South, Kilskeery, Tyrone.

I've emailed Mrs Jean Beacom at Corick Country House too to see if she can shed any more light on them.

Any other information would be gratefully received. Thanks!
Hewson (Dublin); Beacom (Co. Tyrone), Beer (Devon); Perry (Warwickshire); Tanner (Wiltshire); Mostyn Owen (Shropshire & Wales); Coles (Somerset & London); Fox (Cornwall); Peirce (Monmouth); Tolson (Yorkshire); Haigh (Yorkshire); Lunn (Yorkshire); Neill (Co. Down); Davies (Shropshire); Dryden (Roxburgh); McVane (Roxburgh); Lillico (Roxburgh); Symington (Roxburgh); Dickson (Roxburgh).

Offline Brisgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 16 August 14 01:40 BST (UK) »
I've found out more about my Beacoms since I last posted...

John Beacom and Rebecca Mitchell married at Magheracross Parish Church, Ballinamallard, Fermanagh on 5 May 1829. Their children were Mary (bap 11 Apr 1830), Isabella (bap 20 Apr 1832) (my great-great-grandmother), Edward (bap 15 June 1834), Andrew (bap 4 Sep 1836), Jane (bap 15 Aug 1839) and Margaret (bap 18 Dec 1842).. all in Kilskeery, Co. Tyrone. They lived at Glassmullagh, Kilskeery, Co. Tyrone. John's parents were Edward and Isabella Beacom.

Lots of info can be found at the Fermanagh Gold and Ireland Genealogy Projects websites.
Hewson (Dublin); Beacom (Co. Tyrone), Beer (Devon); Perry (Warwickshire); Tanner (Wiltshire); Mostyn Owen (Shropshire & Wales); Coles (Somerset & London); Fox (Cornwall); Peirce (Monmouth); Tolson (Yorkshire); Haigh (Yorkshire); Lunn (Yorkshire); Neill (Co. Down); Davies (Shropshire); Dryden (Roxburgh); McVane (Roxburgh); Lillico (Roxburgh); Symington (Roxburgh); Dickson (Roxburgh).

Offline ashbea_13

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 18 August 14 00:54 BST (UK) »
My grandfather was Jack Beacom born c.1930. He married my grandmother Gertrude Brennan, not sure of date. They lived in Co. Armagh but according to my dad (Maurice Beacom), the family came from Enniskillen. Are any of these names familiar? Can anyone help?

Offline NORAF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 21 May 16 02:39 BST (UK) »
I noticed a post from snoons 22 Jan '10 where Martin Forster married to Jane Beacom are the GGGG Grandparents of snoons(Trisha). Martin Forster is my GG Grandfather. What have you found about MF and JB? I gather I have to make three posts before I can use the direct communication method. If you reply I'll come up with two more posts.

Offline Westfield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 27 June 16 21:11 BST (UK) »
There are still Beacoms in Lisnarick. We know an Upholsterer there - lovely fella. There is often confusion over our names, our name is Deacon!
Cashmore, Ward, Durham of Stone, Staffs
Wood (Hanley, Shelton) Bedson (Stoke)
Deacon (Stoke, Reading, Swindon) Freeman/Powis (Stoke, Shropshire, Cheshire)
Leigh (Stoke)