Author Topic: kirwan  (Read 7932 times)

Offline bob.mac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
kirwan
« on: Wednesday 15 January 14 01:22 GMT (UK) »
Have a marriage of James Slevin to Sarah Kirwan in Co.Fermanagh. Father of bride was John Kirwan and of groom Thomas Slevin. Witness to marriage were James Keown & Ellen McElroy. Addresses on MC is given as Carnamuala for James  and Carluagh for Sarah.Not sure when marriage took place as cant find paper work, but first child born in 1913. Question is i cant find Sarah on 1901 census nor  any Kirwan in 1911 census living in Fermanagh. Sarah aged 12 at 1901. James and Sarah had children , the first in 1913, address given on BC as Boghill. Remaining children at Stranafely and Lismalore.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: kirwan
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 06:06 GMT (UK) »
The marriage took place in November 1911 in Brookeborough RC Church.

I haven't seen the marriage certificate but I suspect that the address for James (Carnamuala) might be the townland of Cornamucklagh.

Turning to the subject of your query, I also suspect that Sarah's address (Carluagh) is actually the townland of Corlough.  Assuming this, the following 1911 census record is a reasonable fit:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Fermanagh/Brookeborough/Corlough/521822/

Edited to add: And the same family in the townland of Carrickpolin in the 1901 census:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Fermanagh/Grogey/Carrickpolin/1356643/

The detail here would point to a John Kirwin who married Mary Anne McGin in Brookeborough RC Church in June 1880.

Offline bob.mac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 January 14 03:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you gaffy, much appreciated.

Offline Kerri Philpott

• RootsChat Extra
  • My darling girl, when are you going to realize that being normal is not necessarily a virtue? It rather denotes a lack of courage! - Stockard Channing, Practical Magic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 June 14 01:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob! I think we should connect, I believe my great grandmother Mary Frances is Sarah's sister.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 June 14 07:41 BST (UK) »
Kerri,
       When you have made another two posts you will be able to contact Bob using the personal message system. Just click on the little "page" beneath Bob's name.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Kerri Philpott

• RootsChat Extra
  • My darling girl, when are you going to realize that being normal is not necessarily a virtue? It rather denotes a lack of courage! - Stockard Channing, Practical Magic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 June 14 15:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that knowledge! It was very exciting to see Bob's info because the marriage details match for Sarah's parents and the Mary on the census he posted links quite closely for the birth info we have for my great grandmother.

Offline Slev

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 February 16 15:04 GMT (UK) »
James Slevin and Sarah Kirwan are my Grandparents. I am the daughter of their
son Thomas.  I have photographs of them all if anyone is interested.

Offline Slev

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 February 16 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gaffy,

The 1911 census is definitely Sarah Kirwan's family, despite the incorrect spelling of the family name.
I know this for certain because I met many of her siblings (my father's aunts and uncles), including
Teresa, Thomas and Annie, all who emigrated to Glasgow, Scotland.

Offline Kerri Philpott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 February 16 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Slev, did your grandmother or the siblings you met ever talk about their sibling Mary Frances (Minnie), who was on the 1901 census, but out of the house by 1911? She is my great grandmother.