Author Topic: Matthew WILSON born 1890, Afton Place, Castlegreen Street, Dumbarton  (Read 4262 times)

Offline Greenland

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Matthew WILSON born 1890, Afton Place, Castlegreen Street, Dumbarton
« on: Friday 27 December 13 12:18 GMT (UK) »
I am seeking information on Matthew Wilson as detailed in the title. He was born to Matthew and Catherine (nee McKinnon) Wilson.

Matthew and Catherine were married in 1884 in East Bridgend School. Their children were Mary (~1885), Elizabeth (~1886), Catherine (~1887), Matthew (as detailed in title), Flora (~1893) and Jane (~1896).  Catherine was widowed in 1898 when her husband died in 'Colony of Lagos', now Nigeria. After his death, Catherine ran a small newsagent/stationers shop on Dumbarton High Street for a few years.  In the early 1900's Catherine and most, if not all, of her daughters emigrated to South Africa but I have been unable to trace what became of Matthew, their only son.

I should be most grateful for any help readers can give me.  WIth thanks,

Glynis

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Matthew WILSON born 1890, Afton Place, Castlegreen Street, Dumbarton
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 December 13 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Did his mother marry again? and when did they emigrate ?

Offline Greenland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 December 13 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your query Rosie.

No, Catherine did not marry again either in Scotland or South Africa. One of her children, Elizabeth, was my grandmother who never returned to Scotland and died in South Africa.  Catherine returned once that I know of in about 1924 but afterwards resumed her life in South Africa where she died in 1950.

I believe Catherine may have travelled to SA after 1905 but before 1911 when Elizabeth married a London born immigrant in SA. I have been unable to trace them on passenger lists with certainty.  I am not sure whether the 'girls' travelled on assisted passages as part of a government migration scheme.  I am certain that the brother I am enquirying about, Matthew, did not migrate to SA.

Glynis

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 December 13 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried looking for him in 1911 census in Scotland also a marriage maybe even a death ?

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 December 13 22:23 GMT (UK) »
I checked the deaths no luck there except for these three which you would have to order from Scot's People.

1968   WILSON   MATTHEW       M   77   RENFREW   /RENFREW   575/00 0039
1974   WILSON   MATTHEW       M   85   DOUGLAS   /SOUTH LANARKSHIRE   587/00 0017
1975   WILSON   MATTHEW       M   84   DALMELLINGTON  /EAST AYRSHIRE   684/00 0046

There are seven in the 1911 Census but I didn't look at any since none were in Dumbarton.

Then again perhaps Matthew moved on elsewhere, perhaps fought and died in WWI it will be a long search.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 December 13 08:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi all ,

Just to add to DonM's finds -
From 1974 onwards the mothers maiden name was included in the SP index.
The 1974 and 1975 deaths are not showing with a mothers maiden name as McKinnon.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Greenland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 December 13 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Rosie, Don, Ev

Thank you for your responses.

Don, I agree, Matthew could have moved on beyond the boundaries of not only Dumbarton but the UK.  I am sure his mother Catherine would have ensured that he was in employment, staying with a family member, or perhaps even signed up as a mariner, before she and the family took off for SA.  I too found the seven Matthew Wilsons in the 1911 census (also suggested by Rosie) but all outside of Dumbarton – I know people moved about far more than we sometimes give them credit.  The death records you mention are worth enquiring about so thank you for this info and also thank you to Ev, for narrowing this down to just the one entry of 1968 as the other two did not relate to a mother with maiden surname of McKinnon.  This info minimizes the expenditure on certificates, a great help.

I am sure that Matthew did not die before 1950 the year of his mother’s death in SA.  The authorities required that a ‘death notice’ be completed, a standard form giving pertinent information about the deceased. Among other things, the form at that time required that the children of the deceased be listed, clearly stating which were majors and which were minors.  One daughter had died and was not mentioned, another daughter is not mentioned and is also giving me difficulty, but Matthew IS listed so we know he was alive then. The form does not give the residential location of each child.

I have now ordered the 1968 death certificate and will post an update once received.

Thank you all for you help.

Glynis

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 December 13 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Fingers crossed then that its the right one  :)

Offline Greenland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Matthew WILSON born 1890, Afton Place, Castlegreen Street, Dumbarton-COMPLETED
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 January 14 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Rosie, Don, Ev

I am absolutely delighted to tell you that on receiving the death certificate of the 1968 Matthew Wilson from NRS today,he is the man I have been looking for!  I am so grateful to all of you for taking the time to respond and for helping me knock down another brick wall.  Thank you!

Glynis