Author Topic: kirkup  (Read 4462 times)

Offline julie1969

• I am sorry but my email is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
kirkup
« on: Monday 02 July 12 17:01 BST (UK) »
trying to find any records of ja kirkup maybe christian not complete maybe came from longtown area or over the border in gretna he had a son james born 1705 in arthuret married eleanor forrest.
the wardrop family from stonehouse  in scotland

Offline Cazza47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: kirkup
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 July 12 18:48 BST (UK) »
Were they goldsmiths?
Carol
Muckley, Routledge, Roe, Bontoft, Brumpton, Bills, Aspatria, Carlisle

Offline julie1969

• I am sorry but my email is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 July 12 19:00 BST (UK) »
sorry no idea but did get a message today saying his first name was james believe most records destroyed in church fire in carlisle his birth about 1685.
the wardrop family from stonehouse  in scotland

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
  • If we understand the past we understand the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 July 12 13:37 BST (UK) »
There is a grain of truth about the fire but I think your correspondent has conflated several tales.  The records for Arthuret parish (in which Longtown is situated) were burned, but not destroyed, by a vicar in the 1950's.  They were saved by the gardener and turned up in Australia in the early 80's.  They were "repatriated" and microfilmed by Cumbria Archive Service and the films are available at Carlisle Archive Centre.  The originals, which were in a very poor condition , are not available for consultation.

There is a James Kirkup buried in Arthuret, died 1776, and his wife Eleanor, died 1788.  Robbiesmum, on this forum, will have the full details.
Forster Cul, Harrison Cul, Wood Cul Yks, Castley Cul & Wes, Lorimer Cul and Perth,Innis Cul, Casson, Cul, Johnston,Cul & Nfk, Carruthers Cul, Ewart Cul, Jardine Cul & Dmf, Story Cul, ONeill Cul & NI, Davis Cul & Ldn,

Offline robbiesmum

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 July 12 19:29 BST (UK) »
There is a gravestone for James and Eleanor Kirkup in Arthuret:
In memory of Robert KIRKUP who died at Moat August 10th 1872 aged 84 years. Also Eleanor daughter of Robert/John (superimposed) and Jannet KIRKUP of Longtown who died Novr 30th 1862 aged 11 years.

(Reverse) Sacred to the memory of James KIRKUP in Oakshawhill who died Septr 16 1776 aged 74 years. Eleanor his wife who died Feby 6 1788 aged 93 years.
Farewell to all I must not stay
My saviour calls I must away
Yet don’t say that I am dead
I’m but undressed and gone to bed
I sleep the dead watch of the night
I waken at the dawn of light
When my saviour calls I hope to rise
Unto that life which never dies.

The Arthuret BTs have  these burials, who might possibly be related to the above James Kirkup:
Jan-10   1728   Burial   KIRKUP   James of Hallburn, Poor
Jan-11   1740   Burial   KIRKUP   Isabell of Hallburn, a poor Widow       

A James Kirkup also had two sons, Robert and John, who were baptised at Kirklinton in 1707, who might also be from the same family.
cheers
robbiesmum

Offline meowkat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Robbie Pew 1913-1944
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 January 13 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie!

I've just noticed this message today- I'm not here that often. James and Eleanor are also my ancestors.
I've traced the Kirkup line as much as I can so far, so have some information on them that I can share with you. The information from the graestone provided by robbiesmum matches what I have one James and Eleanor. I think I might even have  photo of it somewhere.
If you send me a private mesage with your email address, I should be able to email you some scans of the documents I have.

Regards,

Katrina
Rutherford, McKune, Elliot, Pew, Anderson, Little, Sturgeon, Manuel, Weild, Rutterford, Atkinson, Kirkup, Bradley, McKay, McDole, Whelan, Coulthard, Nile, Baker, Jardine, Glover, Seeker, Cartmer, Thompson, Ricahrdson, Huggon, Falcon, Blain, Scott, Hewitt, Irwin, McChrystal, Millar, McMichan/McMeekan, McKinlay, McLachlan, Gillogy, King, Bryant, Dixon, McCauley, McDavid, Hastie, McLauchlin, Fitzpatrick, Moore, Shanks, Bell, Corrigan, Woods, Mulhall, (Del) Dykes, Allgood

Offline Rkirkup

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 October 14 22:44 BST (UK) »
James is my 5th great grandfather, so any info that can be provided on his father and mother would be a great help as I've come to an end
Thanks