Author Topic: Sweeney  (Read 2386 times)

Offline irene_kipyahoo.co

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sweeney
« on: Tuesday 29 July 14 12:11 BST (UK) »
I live in Scotland and am trying to find information about Myles Sweeney born around 1825-1835.  As far as I can see he had a brother Ralph born after Myles.  Their parents were John Sweeney and Agnes (Nancy) Kelly.  According to census here in Scotland the family were from Donegal.  Ralph and Myles came over to Scotland and settled here.  I would be most grateful if anyone could help me trace where and when John and Agnes were married, their parents names and whether they had any other children.
Irish records are a bit difficult to access here in Scotland so any help, suggestions or information would be very much appreciated.  Thanks

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Sweeney
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 August 14 23:44 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Given the time period and names it would be very difficult to get any additional information for Myles or his parents. Sweeney is a common name in Donegal and without additional information like parish or townland it would be almost impossible to track the family down.

With the names you supplied I suspect the family were Roman Catholic, RC church records prior to 1850 are extremely rare in Donegal, i searched on-line church records but no matches appeared. Civil Registration didn't begin until 1864 so Myles or his parents won't appear in these records either.

There are four Myles Sweeney's recorded in the Griffith Valuation in 1858 and over 40 John Sweeney's recorded in the Tithe records in the 1820's in Donegal, so without more information I doubt if you can take this research much further. Sorry I can't be of any other help.

Regards

McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sweeney
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 August 14 11:25 BST (UK) »
have a look on the donegal resource site

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~donegal

you might see a townland that you have heard about.

I know there were Sweeney around Ballyshannon county donegal