Author Topic: Inebriate reformatories  (Read 2941 times)

Offline Driftygirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Inebriate reformatories
« on: Wednesday 30 April 14 00:41 BST (UK) »
I hope someone may be able to help. I'm trying to find out what happened to my grandmother.

My dad was born (September 1905) and christened (December 1905) at the Brentry Inebriate reformatory in Gloucestershire. Dad's family lived in Hendon, Middlesex for many years at 104 Brent Terrace in Cricklewood. Dad was told his mother "left the family" when he was very young.

I think my grandmother may well have ended up in some sort of institution. Her name was Mary Ann Jeffries (nee Smith) born c 1870 (this is going from the age on her marriage certificate). I have not been able to locate a death certificate for her, or narrow her birth down in order to get a birth certificate. I have found her in the 1911 census with the family back in Hendon, so if she "left" I'm guessing it would be after 1911? The only other thing I know from the marriage certificate is that her father was Joseph Smith and I guess still living when she got married in 1892 as it doesn't have deceased written against it as happened for her husband's (Albert Jeffries) father Henry. She was born in Harpenden Hertfordshire as far as I know.

I saw that the London Metropolitan Archives have some registers of people committed to inebriate reformatories, but as I live in Australia I can't visit the archives there. Is there any way someone can assist with further information or suggestions?

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Inebriate reformatories
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 April 14 07:32 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat! ;D

You will have seen from the 1911 (and earlier) census that Mary Ann was born in Harpenden?

Unfortunately, Smith is such a common surname, but I think this will be her birth:

September qtr 1870
St Albans district    vol 3a, page 350
Smith, Mary Ann

(Although there are other Mary Ann Smith births in 1872 and 1873! ::) )

I think this is Mary Ann in 1891:
Class: RG12; Piece: 1115; Folio: 126; Page: 31
Caiup Road, St Albans, Hertfordshire

Smith, Joseph  Head  M  50  Labourer  b Harpenden
Smith, Phoebe  Wife  F  50  b Harpenden
Smith, Mary A  Daughter  F  20  b Childwick
Smith, Ellen  Daughter  F  12  b Caiup
Smith, Frederick  Son  M  10  b Caiup

(Childwick Green is 2.1 miles from Harpenden)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 April 14 07:54 BST (UK) »
The Brentry Certified Inebriate Reformatory was founded in 1898.
In 1922 it became a mental institution, and was renamed the Brentry Certified Institution.

In later years it became Brentry Hospital, and closed in 2000.

There is some historical info here: http://www.glensidemuseum.org.uk/Bristol_and_Inebriates_2.htm
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Driftygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 05:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for this link - it is really useful. I guess that there would have  been a chapel on site, which would be where my dad was baptized. The information I have is that he was baptised in Westbury on Trym.

Offline Driftygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 06:18 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the information on Mary Ann Smith, yes I have her in the 1911 and 1901 census living with her family.

I have her marriage to Albert and I know that they both lived at The Camp in St Albans when they got married in 1892.

The 1891 census you provided looks good, I've followed that through to 1881, with her parents listed as the same age. But 1871 is problematic. I found an 1871 census showing a Mary A Smith with parents Joseph and Mary both the same age but with wife Mary not Phoebe. The Mary A Smith in this census is 8 months old -
Piece:1379
Folio:100
Page Number:7

The tricky thing is that there is a Mary Ann Matilda Smith with parents Joseph and Phoebe christened 4 September 1870 St Michael,St Albans, Hertfordshire.

I'm guessing if my grandmother had another name like Matilda it should have been shown on her marriage certificate?

I'm also wondering whether my grandmother's mother was perhaps Mary and she either died in childbirth or in-between the 1871 and 1881 census? Then when she died Joseph may have married a Phoebe?

I think I may have to take a punt and order the birth you have suggested to see if it may shed any further information on whether this is my grandmother or not.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 September 14 09:16 BST (UK) »
Hi

Not directly related to your query regarding the fate of your relative, but this is where they probably lived . . . . .

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01a3b/

Choose the streetview tab, and go right to the end of the road (heading for the 3 trees).
Penultimate terraced house (numbered and some of it painted white)

Ray

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Driftygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 September 14 23:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Ray

Thanks very much for the information, I will check this out, any information is useful, I appreciate you taking the time to do this.

cheers

Lilian