Author Topic: in attendance at death  (Read 1151 times)

Offline oldhippyone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
in attendance at death
« on: Monday 23 June 14 15:33 BST (UK) »
i have just recieved a death certificate  for william morrison age 83 and it states in attendance of mary mowbray at the death .. what does in attendance mean ? was she a nurse .. was she a neighbour .. ? any one any ideas on what in attendance means

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: in attendance at death
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 June 14 15:39 BST (UK) »
This might help:

Signature or mark of the person registering the death and his/her address, usually only the name of a village on early certificates. The preferred informant was someone present at the death, often a close family member although the relationship to the deceased is not shown before 1875.  Someone in attendance means a person who had been nursing or caring for the deceased during the last illness but not actually present at the time of death.  again often a family member but sometimes a neighbour or professional carer.  An occupier meant matron of a nursing home or Master of the Workhouse.  A person causing the body to be buried is the person giving instructions to the undertaker in the absence of any family member, usually a hospital almoner or similar.  If there was an inquest the coroner will be the informant.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline oldhippyone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 June 14 15:46 BST (UK) »
there was no inquest it says died of natural decay not certified then the mark of being a X mary mowbray in attendance of death chester le street , there is no address just twenty ninth december 1853  chester le street ,, i thought it might be a relative but cant find any evidence

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 June 14 15:49 BST (UK) »
It might be worth looking at the 1851 census to see if she lived close by....she could have been a neighbour or someone close by who was looking after him.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline oldhippyone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 June 14 16:02 BST (UK) »
i have done that and found a few mary mowbray,s in chester le street all i know is william was living at gas houses chester le street in the 1851 census , and none of the mary,s was liing in chester le street , age  range is all ages for mary

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 June 14 18:46 BST (UK) »
William Morison [sic], age 83 of Chester le Street  was buried in Chester le Street St. Mary and Cuthbert churchyard New Year's day 1854

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline oldhippyone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 June 14 12:22 BST (UK) »
update on mary mowbray ... i have found the following in 1851 census
ralph mowbray 1795 farmer 67 acres [ william in 1810 was a husbanman ]
mary 1799
jane 1827
esther 1839 all born chester le streeT there address 11 GAS  HOUSE
other family 1851 census
john willson mowbray 1824
mary ann 1825
mary ellen 1848
ralph 1851 all born chester le street .. there address 13 GAS HOUSE
other family 1851 census
william mowbray 1791 occ tailor
mary 1794 birth houghton le spring
william 1824 occ mason
mary ann 1835
john geo 1838
address GAS HOUSE
WILLIAM MORRISON,S ADDRESS WAS 18 GAS HOUSE
so were ther mowbrays good friends or is there a family connection to william all these mowbrays living same street a few doors from him also farmers i wounder if the woman mary was a morrison ?