Author Topic: James McQuillin  (Read 1828 times)

Offline AndyMacQuillan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James McQuillin
« on: Saturday 28 June 14 12:46 BST (UK) »
This being my first post, please excuse any breach of etiquette :) My 2x great g/father was James McQuillin b1801 or 1811 (he ages 20 years between the 1851 and 1861 censuses!) and he married Mary Ann Smith (b 1816) from Dunston, Durham, at St Andrews, Newcastle,  on March 1st 1835. They next turn up in Leicester on 1851 census and stay there. He only gives his birthplace as Ireland on the censuses for 1851 and '61, however their first three children were born in Stockton on Tees (x2) and Darlington, so they were around Durham for some years - their son Joseph was born in Leicester in 1850. James is deceased before 1871, but Mary Ann makes it on to the 1871 return, still in Leicester. That's basically all I know so far, so was wondering if someone could direct me to the records for St Andrews Church, Newcastle where their marriage records may shine a bit more light on his and her origins? Would be very grateful for any help, thanks.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Irish in Co Durham
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 June 14 13:19 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat Andy.

Although related to the original topic, I think this thread might be better on the Durham/Norhtumberland board where it might get more attention. I will contact a moderator and ask them what they think would be best.

In the mean time, here is a link to Newcastle St Andrew Bishop's Transcripts:
(I hope the link works)
http://www.rootschat.com/links/016sg/

If you find out more about their Irish origins you could always start a new thread requesting specific information about them.

Sometimes when adding new requests such as this to an old thread, unfortunately they can sometimes be overlooked, and it wouldn't do for that to happen especially on your first post.  :)

Offline AndyMacQuillan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 June 14 13:49 BST (UK) »
 :) Thankyou very much indeed - I found the marriage entry on the link you gave within minutes, and though there's little new info on there, it's good to confirm it happened! Thanks again.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 June 14 14:10 BST (UK) »
Glad you found it Andy but it is a shame there is no mention about his origins in Ireland. If you haven't used the Bishops Transcripts for your Durham/Northumberland families before I'm sure you will find them very useful.

Is it specifically James's Irish origins that you are seeking?

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: James McQuillin
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 June 14 16:36 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat Andy,

I have split your post off to make it a new one on James McQuillin and family :)

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mr. Tibbs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 June 14 06:51 BST (UK) »
From the marriage entry, you now know he can sign his name but Mary can't.  He has also married at St. Andrew's so maybe not Roman Catholic.  By banns, so a planned wedding but not in Dunston, Mary's birthplace.  Do you know very much about Mary's family?

Offline Sharon01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 June 14 08:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Their daughter Jane Theresa was baptised on 04/04/1840 at St Mary's chapel, Stockton-On-Tees Durham. So maybe Catholic.

Sharon
Fagan/England/Ireland
Aldridge/London
Sills/London/Kent
Hartwell/London
Salkeld/Cumberland/Northumberland
Robinson/London
Stewart/Ireland/Scotland/England

Offline taffie01

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 June 14 15:28 BST (UK) »
Hi, and a warm welcome from me.

St Andrews church is RC and is situated in Worswick  st, Newcastle.

the records for the church will be in Tyne Wear archives, Newcastle. you can check the archives online to find which years they hold.

also the records for Dunston should be there, you could check for a possible baptism for Mary.if that is where she was born.

I was wondering if Mary was working in Newcastle and had an address there.
oops! just remembered ,  :o addresses were not always included on early marriages. still it's a puzzle as to why she din't marry in her own parish?

also for a child to be baptised in RC church the parents would have had to prove they had been married in RC church.

cheers
taffie

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 June 14 15:41 BST (UK) »

also for a child to be baptised in RC church the parents would have had to prove they had been married in RC church.

cheers
taffie

They were married in 1835 so wouldn't the marriage have to be Church of England whether Catholic or not? If the children were baptised Roman Catholic, then presumably the family were Catholic.

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk