Author Topic: Robertsons from Peterhead  (Read 4008 times)

Offline moresmall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Robertsons from Peterhead
« on: Tuesday 03 January 06 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Does anyone have any information on James Robertson b.c. 1816 he married an Ann Smith 1817-1904.  They had 7 children, my interest is in Jane Robertsson b 1849, she married John Lawrence May, a fisherman from Inverallochy.   

Maureen from Fraserburgh, now living in New Zealand. 
Noble, May, Cardno, Ritchie, Robertson, Taylor,  Crawford, Mitchell, Buchan, Watt, West, Grant, all from NE SCotland.

Offline celticmutt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robertsons from Peterhead
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 June 14 17:09 BST (UK) »
Maureen,
I've lately seen a couple of your posts on RootsChat as well as the Yahoo Peterhead group as well.  I too am a descendant of the Peterhead Robertsons.  James Robertson and Margaret Skinner would have been my 4th great grandparents (through James 1818; James 1837; James 1859; George McIntosh 1890 to my Dad, George 1919.  We live in New Jersey.  Both my folks emigrated to the US when they were kids.  My screen name on Ancestry is wmjrobertson465 in case you are interested to see the lot!
I've been trying to track down the specifics of "James" (born perhaps somewhere around 1795) for quite some time.  I've spent a lot of time on Scotland's People researching James Robertsons born in Peterhead around the right time, but nothing seems quite right.  (The group born in Peterhead: Aug 10 1767, Mar 30 1770, Feb 3 1777, Oct 13 1778 - seem a bit too old; the fellow born Mar 30 1786 was a weaver - I have his death cert.- and the two born Jun 29 1801 and Apr 29 1804 are too young considering a 7 year apprenticeship for a ship's carpenter.)
I've seen your posts asking about James and Margaret, but they are a bit old.  My queries on the Yahoo group go completely unanswered!  So I'm completely at a loss.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanking you in advance!
Best Regards,
Bill Robertson
wm.robertson@comcast.net

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 June 14 15:37 BST (UK) »

Offline celticmutt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 June 14 03:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Malky!  I think the one of the two Fraserburgh entries may be my guy!  Needs further work, but I may have been limiting my search to Peterhead when Fraserburgh may be a likely alternative.
Bill R.

Offline moresmall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 June 14 06:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Bill

Thanks for replying to my post on this site, have emailed you directly waiting to hear back from you.  Would love to exchange information with you about our Robertson ancestors.

Maureen
Noble, May, Cardno, Ritchie, Robertson, Taylor,  Crawford, Mitchell, Buchan, Watt, West, Grant, all from NE SCotland.