Author Topic: Thomas Goodman  (Read 7874 times)

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
Thomas Goodman
« on: Sunday 20 April 14 20:16 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am from Hertfordshire UK. I have discovered Thomas Goodman on Paperpast-Dominion 12th April 1913, Volume 6, Issue 1722. It reads as follows:

"The court also dealt with an application concerning a missing nephew of Thomas Goodman, late of Hillgrove, Otago, labourer, who died on December 2 1907 and of whose estate the public trustee is administrator. The estate became divisible between the deceased's sister, Mrs Eliza Seabrook, of Watford Herts, son of deceased's brother George. All trace of the nephew has been lost since 1899, when he is supposed to have left London for Canada. Advertisements inserted in English and Canadian newspapers have failed to trace the missing man, and the court made an order for payment of the residue of the estate to Mrs Seabrook."

Please could you help with when Thomas came to NZ. A record of Thomas's passage from England to NZ was unable to be found on family search. Does anyone know how I might go about finding another avenue to search re Thomas's entry to NZ ? It was suggested to me that perhaps Thomas came to NZ from another country such as Australia.

My ancestor was George Goodman born 1844 in Rickmansworth, Hertfordshire, UK, son of James Goodman, Blacksmith. George did have a sister Elizabeth (Eliza) and a brother Thomas. George died 1888 and he did have a son named George who was unable to be found several years later.
I have ordered the death cert for Thomas as above and hopefully it will confirm the connection for me and perhaps provide further information.

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Goodman
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 April 14 20:21 BST (UK) »
Hi,

A 'T. GOODMAN' aged 27 arrived at Otago in May 1863 on the Aldinga from Melbourne. He was married.

Spades
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 April 14 20:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you Spades for your reply and for searching for me. That is interesting about the possible Melbourne connection. I will try and find a way of exploring that further.

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 April 14 20:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The ship left Melbourne on 10 March 1863.   The wife, sorry no initial was given, was 26 years, there were also two children, one male aged 3 years and one female aged 2 years.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline firefly74

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 April 14 20:58 BST (UK) »
A Thomas GOODMAN  first appears in the 1865/66 electoral roll in Dunedin, Otago.

There is also a Thomas John GOODMAN that appears a couple of years later - he may be the GOODMAN Thomas John that died 1886 aged 56, so not your man. He appears on Papers Past as a bailiff.

Note that some of the 1853-64 electoral roll is unreadable (the Ancestry version, anyway).

Cheers
Helen

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 April 14 21:26 BST (UK) »
There are births for a Thomas and Harriett Goodman from 1869 to 1893 that could be your Thomas considering the wife's age on arrival

1869/21850 Goodman  Herbert/  Harriet/ Thomas
1871/23797 Goodman  Henry Ernest / Harriett /Thomas
1873/39632 Goodman  Harold Ledger / Harriet /Thomas
1875/664 Goodman  Violet / Harriet /Thomas
1875/668 Goodman  Lily  /Harriet/ Thomas
1876/12932 Goodman  Charles Leonard / Harriet/ Thomas
1879/1713 Goodman  Thomas Henry / Harriet /Thomas
1881/3477 Goodman  Ada/  Harriet /Thomas
1883/17547 Goodman  Alfred Willis / Harriet/ Thomas
1887/6426 Goodman  Leo/  Harriet /Thomas
1888/18169 Goodman  George Henry / Harriet /Thomas
1890/546 Goodman  Grace/  Harriet/ Thomas
1893/7627 Goodman  Laurence/  Harriet/ Thomas

Discounted

Cheers Janette

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 April 14 21:36 BST (UK) »
Hi, thank you KHP and Helen and Janette for your information. I will also have a search for a possible UK marriage record for Thomas. There may also be births for the children in England.

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 April 14 22:07 BST (UK) »
1890/546 Goodman  Grace/  Harriet/ Thomas

School records for the above show the parent/guardian to be a Thomas Goodman Jnr of Motueka.

There is a Thomas Goodman Snr who died in Motueka in 1905, a baker, and who first appears on the Early Settlers Disc in 1851.  So probably not your Thomas, I stand to be corrected.

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 April 14 22:32 BST (UK) »
Hi, thank you for Grace's school info. Thomas Henry was born, according to your list, 1879 therefore there is an 11 year difference between brother & sister. Could he be the Thomas junior. My Rickmansworth U.K Thomas wouldn't have been classified as junior as his father's name was James. His father also remained in the UK until he died.