Author Topic: Anne Salesbury Powell  (Read 20009 times)

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Anne Salesbury Powell
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 09 December 09 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps they had a handfast marriage or there was a relationship which precluded them from marrying in the church?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pauls63

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 09 December 09 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rol & Heather,

Yes, there could be many reasons why it didn't turn up on the index. Ann's index does cover some parishes over the border, as Rol says.
There's a chance the marriage could have been held outside of north Wales, although that seems unlikely.
If there were married in north Wales then either they didn't marry in a church (was this a common occurrence at the time?) or the record of it has been lost.

I think I'll investigate the possibility that the marriage was held outside of north Wales as that seems to be the only option of finding something. My hopes aren't very high though.

Paul

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 09 December 09 18:33 GMT (UK) »
With an estimated marriage date c1697 it was well before Hardwicke's Marriage Act of 1754, which made marriage in established church mandatory for all but Quakers & Jews.....

Offline Pauls63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 09 December 09 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heather,

I came across this in a book of Oxford Alumni.
Did Anne have an older brother?

Paul

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 09 December 09 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Yes I believe she did have a brother who would have been Hugh ap Harry (Henry) ap Hugh  :) I think he must have died before 1691 when her father made his will, because everything seemed to be left to Anne & Ellis Powell and their children.  but he is mentioned in the grandfather's will :)  Sorry I thought you had seen the wills.

Heather 

Offline Pauls63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 10 December 09 00:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heather,

I have seen the wills but it's possible my eyesight might have been going a bit funny when I was reading her grandfather's one :). I must have missed Hugh.

Still, it's quite an achievement getting a degree from an Oxford college!
A few of the 'Rug' Salesburys also attended Jesus college around the same time - learning about the law no doubt!

Paul

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 10 December 09 00:57 GMT (UK) »
They are very hard to read >:(  I've started a transcription of the 1661 one.  I can only look at them for about half an hour before my eyes go ::) ;D ;D  I'll email you the working copy ;)

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 10 December 09 17:46 GMT (UK) »

Re:  Replies 21-2 and that entry in Alumni Oxon. about Hugh Salesbury matric. from Jesus Coll. 1675,  BA 1678 (possibly brother to Anne Salesbury Powell).

The Clergy Database has entries for a "Hugo Salesbury" BA who was appointed school master at Wallingford Free Grammar School on 18 May 1680 and was apparently also recorded as being curate of Nettlebed the following month (plus still there in June 1681 and June 1682):  for source go to the index page and see person IDs 105072 and 82047;  then use the entry expansion buttons.

The date match looks quite good,  and a young death in Berks./Oxon. would explain his failure to reappear in North Wales.  Presumably there would be a local burial record.

He is unlikely to have had much property -- but then the clergy were encouraged to make wills.  To display due diligence,  probably ought to be checked.  Does anyone have easy access to the Oxford probate index volumes produced by the British Record Society?  (S'pose one should really ask on the Oxfordshire Board . . . *)  Predictably, nothing 1680-1700 at the PCC.

Rol

*  DONE (10.12.09, 19:40 GMT)

(Crown and other relevant copyrights acknowledged, including - but without limitation to - census information from wwwnationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 10 December 09 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rol

Thank you for the link :)

H