Author Topic: Shaftesbury Homes,Bisley Boys Central School 1936-1941  (Read 26804 times)

Offline John58

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shaftesbury Homes,Bisley Boys Central School 1936-1941
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 15:43 BST (UK) »
My father Basil John Arthur Perry was at Bisley School in 1941 he would have been about 15-16.
He went on to enlist in the Army - Tank Regiment.

Does anyone know him or have any information / pictures?

Regards,

John58

Offline Trojan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 12 September 10 03:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Leslie Jones was at Bisley Juniors 1938-1941 & the Seniors at Shaftesbury House 1941-December 1944.
No 35 in Juniors & 200 in Seniors. Friends were Tony Brooks,(36) & Frank Bronley (20) in Juniors. I was in Trojans in Juniors & Ironsides in Seniors.   Hard to remember all the names, there was a Prefect Withers in Seniors, a Thomas (199) in Seniors.   A McSwan in Juniors. Housemaster Bill Tull Juniors, then a Mr Cole, (got sacked), then Mr Wenman (His daughter was killed crossing the road at the local Bisley School.  He left soon after. Teachers Miss Turner, Matron "Bluebottle", Charlie Rogers Room 3 Music), "Horsey"Paddock (Room 6 Mathematics), Mr Macey (Room 3a), Mr (Sarkey) Goodger (Room 5 History & Geography I think) , Sports Mr Masefield.
Headmaster Bertram Reid, Bandmaster ??, Tailoring Teacher? Shoemaking Teacher? (had a Glass Eye) Mr Russell Engineering.  Don Ryan (OLd Boy) I met in SIngapore 1949 in the Royal Signals).. Keen Brothers (Twins)
That's about all in the grey matter at the moment.  I have just turned 80 & trying to write my Bigraphy.

Offline Trojan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 12 September 10 03:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Lorna I was at Bisley, both Juniors & Seniors from 1938 to 1944, your Father's name rings a bell but I cannot place him yet. Do you know what Dormitory he was in in Juniors &/or Seniors?
Kind Regards,
Leslie Jones (35 & 200)

Offline Trojan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 12 September 10 03:27 BST (UK) »
Hello John, Your Father would have been in the Senior School at Shaftesbury House, when I first arrived in the Junior School, 3 miles away, in 1938.  The name rings a bell, but I may have met him at an old Boy's Reunion a few years later. Did he have a Brother at the school also? Kind regards, Leslie Jones Bisley 1938-1944

Offline Trojan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 12 September 10 03:31 BST (UK) »
Hi John, I lost Email contact with you (Through Friends Reunited) when my computer crashed. Not sure when you posted your last messaage on this site, but though I would let you know I am still about in New Zealand, having just turned 80 & trying to start my Autobiography again after a 6 year lapse.  Hope you get to read this. Leslie Jones.

Offline Trojan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 12 September 10 03:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Lorna, Would love to get a copy of the book, "When dreams come true" where did you get it, & can you confirm the Title & the Author. Would like a copy of your Dad's photo while he was at Bisley, it may jog my ancient memory.
Kind Regards,
Leslie Jones

Offline streeturchin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 20 December 10 11:17 GMT (UK) »
there are a number of decent photographs on the frith sites, 1914 pictures of the main building, and of the junior school and many other shots, inc. bisley village

Offline streeturchin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 20 December 10 11:29 GMT (UK) »
out of interest I was a boy at Bisley Boys School, in Shaftesbury rd. 1954-1959,
I remember marching to church/ chapel on Sundays, my brother was also there with me, I was caned so many times, 3 in front of the whole school that I became used to it.
I was also a boy that other boys liked, and two masters too, so I have happy memories of fighting them off, when I could.
Still I have been told that, that problem was rife at most boarding schools in england at that time!
However I still have happy memories, of adventures in the common, the tanks firing at night on the range, hunting snakes etc. in the bracken, scrumping the headmasters prize apples, for which I was caned, telling spooky stories in the dorm. at night, raiding parties from one dorm to another, the CV shout when masters were abound.
once the chapel was on fire, and we junior boys were beating the flames, dressed in our dressing gowns...also there would be fantastic fires on the common, after the fires we would find, frogs, etc burnt to a crisp.
I shall tell some other real stories if I have anyone interested, meanwhile ask any questions and I shall give a truthful answer.

Offline gerald.pntlworld.c

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 18 February 11 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi John
I was a pupil at bisley boys school from 1939-1948 i was a Cavalier, i have quite a lot of photos of the school and Shaftesbury House some records but a lot were destroyed in a fire in London in the 1950s, you can obtain photos and records from the Surrey History Centre 130 Goldsworth Road,Woking, Surrey, gu21 6nd.
www.surreycc.gov.uk/surreyhistorycentreservice
shs@surreycc.gov.uk
Hope you find what you are looking for,
best Regards.

Gerald