Author Topic: Help pls deciphering german records  (Read 13439 times)

Offline apwright

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help pls deciphering german records
« Reply #45 on: Friday 24 February 12 06:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt,
Yes, Katharina is from Sumiswald. And yes, her surname is SOMMER - it's a lot clearer here! Sorry about that!

A[nn]o 1774 zu Haßle Copuliert
Jenner [=Januar] den 7. Hanß Großenbacher von Haßle dißmahl zu
Erißweil, mit Katharina Sommer von Sumißwald.

dißmahl = diesmal = currently/at present [residing]
Erißweil = Eriswil

January den 9tn
Par[entes]:
Hans Großenbacher von Hasli zu Dorfschwummen.
Catharina Sommer von Sumiswald.
Andres.
Test[es]:
Niklaus Sommer, von Sumiswald.
Andres Sommer, von Sumiswald.
Christina Sommer von Sumiswald.

Adrian

Offline MattH

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 25 February 12 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Adrian. You sure have been a huge help for me!

Offline MattH

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 26 February 12 05:08 GMT (UK) »
Adrian,
Sorry to bother you, but, I need some help with transcribing and translating this time. I have a birth registration for Monika Stuckle I need help with. I know that her father was Franz Josef Stuckle and her mother was Anna Maria Siegwart and that they were living in Bonndorf (Germany).
I'm sorry for the poor quality of the attachment. In case you want to see the original, go to this page:
https://www2.landesarchiv-bw.de/ofs21/bild_zoom/permalink.php?f=5-471452-36
After that, click the word "Permalink," which will take you to the exact page of the registration book where I clipped this image. The entry is on the bottom left-hand side. 
Thanks for your help as always!

Offline apwright

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 26 February 12 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Acten Bonndorf den 21ten September 1812
Zu Bonndorf wurde heute den 21ten September 1812 Morgens
6 Uhr gebohren, und den nemlichen Morgen um 9 Uhr
in der dasiegen Pfarrkirche getauft ein Mädchen mit
Namen Monika, eheliche Tochter des Hr. Joseph Stukle,
Bürger und Schlossermeister dahier, und der Anna Maria
Siegwärt.
Zeugen, beÿ der hl. [=heiligen] Taufhandlung gegenwärtig, wa-
ren Johann Büche, Bierwirth, und Nepomuk Binder,
Meßner.

Register of Bondorf, 21 September 1812
Born at Bondorf today 21 September 1812 at 6 o'clock in the morning, and baptised the same morning at 9 o'clock in the parish church of this place, was a girl named Monika, legitimate daughter of Mr Joseph Stukle, townsman and master locksmith of this place, and Anna Maria Siegwärt.
Witnesses present at the act of holy baptism were Johann Büche, innkeeper, and Nepomuk Binder, sacristan.

Adrian

Offline MattH

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 27 February 12 04:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Adrian. It looks like I've got a couple lock and nail smiths in the family. I wonder if I could find records that stretch back even further that would tell me where this occupations started, if indeed they were inherited trades.

Offline MattH

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 10 May 12 00:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Adrian,
It's been a while since I last wrote. I have a couple of new records I need help deciphering. They both belong to Helena Herzog. I can kind of make out some of the details from the baptism registration and the death registration, but I need some expert eyes.
The birth record is first, followed by the death. Because of the poor quality of both scans, it might be best to go to the site where I found the records. The birth record was from here:
https://www2.landesarchiv-bw.de/ofs21/bild_zoom/zoom.php?bestand=10028&id=2239846&gewaehlteSeite=05_0000471468_0013_5-471468-13.png

The death record is found here:
https://www2.landesarchiv-bw.de/ofs21/bild_zoom/zoom.php?bestand=10028&id=2239847&gewaehlteSeite=05_0000471469_0202_5-471469-202.png

Thanks for your help!

Offline apwright

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 10 May 12 07:29 BST (UK) »
Im Jahr tausend achthundert und zehn, den dreÿzehnten
August morgens zweÿ Uhr wurde von Liberathe Schaffroth
von Gutenburg gebürtig, und Anton Herzog, Nagler und
Burger zu Schwarzhalden ein weibliches Kind Helena
Herzog geboren, welches den dreÿzehnten August dem
Unterzeichneten von dem Vater vorgezeigt, und in Gegen-
wart desselben, und des Martin Meisters Gastwürths zu
Seebrugg die Beurkundigung gefertiget, und denselben
vorgelesen wurde.
Thomas Dietrich Pfarrer u Beamter
des burgs Standes zu Schluchsee

In the year one thousand eight hundred and ten, on the thirteenth of August at two o'clock in the morning there was born to Liberathe Schaffroth, born at Gutenburg, and Anton Herzog, nailmaker and townsman at Schwarzhalden a female child Helena Herzog, which on the thirteenth of August was presented to the undersigned by the father, in the presence of whom and of Martin Meister, innkeeper at Seebrugg, the certificate was completed and read out. Thomas Dietrich, Priest and Official of the Registry at Schluchsee.

=====

Im Jahr tausend achthundert und zweiundfünfzig den
vierzehnten März Nachts zehn Uhr starb in Schwarz-
halden und wurde den siebenzehnten März Vormittags
zehn Uhr auf dem Gottesaker zu Schluchsee durch den
Unterzeichneten beerdigt:
Helena Herzog.
ledige Taglöhnerin von Schwarzhalden, zweiundvierzig
Jahre alt. Zeugen waren Jakob Ebner, Leichen-
schauer von Schwarzhalden und Joseph ?Fengler, Lehrer
von Schluchsee.
Schluchsee den siebenzehnten März im
Jahre Eintausend achthundert und
zweiundfünfzig. [signature illegible, Pfarrer]

In the year one thousand eight hundred and fifty two on the fourteenth of March at ten o'clock at night there died in Schwarzhalden and was buried by the undersigned on the seventeenth of March at ten o'clock in the morning in the cemetery at Schluchsee: Helena Herzog, unmarried charwoman from Schwarzhalden, forty two years old. Witnesses were Jakob Ebner, coroner of Schwarzhalden, and Joseph ?Fengler, schoolteacher of Schluchsee. Schluchsee on the seventeenth of March in the year one thousand eight hundred and fifty two. [signature illegible, Priest]

Regards, Adrian

Offline MattH

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 18 May 12 02:52 BST (UK) »
Adrian,
Thanks for your help. I've been noticing that you're very well versed on the histories of various cities and occupations in Germany and Switzerland. I am trying to find any resources (books online, websites) that might detail some of the more social customs (ie. baptisms, marriages, deaths, etc.) associated with Baden, Germany and Bern, Switzerland during the 18th and 19th centuries. Would you know of anything that might help give me a deeper understanding of the daily lives that these people may have lived?
Thanks!

Offline MattH

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 23 July 12 19:19 BST (UK) »
Adrian,
I hope you're doing well. I have a unusual deciphering project I need help with. A friend of mine has ancestors who lived in modern-day Slovakia. As you might recall, Slovakia was once part of the Austro-Hungarian empire. In 1869, there was a census taken of all of the families in Slovakia. I was able to locate the entry for my friend's family, named Ribar. Unfortunately, I can't make out some of the words written in by the census taker.
What makes matters worse is that for some of the information, it's written in German; for others, it's written in Hungarian. However, I think the words I'm having problems with are all in German, or, at least in Kurrent letters.
I've attached a few of the words I'm having trouble with.
The first example one is from Column 2, which states the names and relationships of the residents of the house. I don't know what the words are below each name (the relationship part). I can make out "Sohn" and "Tochter" but the others are harder for me.
The second example comes from Column 7, which asks for the occupation of each individual. There were only three listed, but I can't seem to make out any of them.
The last example comes from Column 8, which asks for each person's employment. There is only one example here. It looks like "Volks_____"
*The examples from Column 7 and 8 are in the same picture*
Anyway, hopefully you'll be able to help!