Author Topic: Ellen Molony b. 1863  (Read 1978 times)

Offline cjw66

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ellen Molony b. 1863
« on: Saturday 07 November 09 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Ellen Molony  :)b. 1863 Winchester, father James C Molony. Can't find a birth cert to get mothers maiden name, so have posted a link on Cork Ireland to try and find about marriage. Have a feeling parents came over around potato famine time.

However, Ellen Molony married George Prangle on 8/11/1885 in Winchester. Ellen is listed as age 22 on certificate.

Can find Ellen on 1911 census now age 47, living with george and 2 children - had 6 children in total, other 4 moved out by 1911, am OK with details on them. I know that George died 4 Aug 1920 & buried Sparsholt churchyard. But I have no idea when Ellen died or where buried, can anyone shed any light, I would be forever grateful. An old family story is that a Molony is buried in Little Somborne church, but whether that Ellen or her mum Mary who d in 1890 I don't know.

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen Molony b. 1863
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 November 09 17:48 GMT (UK) »
However, Ellen Molony married George Prangle on 8/11/1885 in Winchester. Ellen is listed as age 22 on certificate.

Who were the witnesses?

1871 finds Ellen MALONY [sic] aged 8 with parents James & Mary in Up Somborne tything of Kings Somborne but no siblings are present.
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cjw66

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 November 09 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Yes I agree with you on the 1871 census that is my Ellen :). But I think that James may not have lived with his parents by 1871.
I now have James  :)m cert. 27 Dec 1877 m Annie Burnett, he was 21 she was 19, both addresses are Little Somborne (I can't see that there can be too many Moloney's/Molony's in Little Somborne as it is a tiny hamlet of just a few houses around the church)
James father is James spelt Moloney :). The witnesses were Charlotte Burnett and the second one is undistinquishable to read but something like, G V Bloudis.
They were married by certificate.

Ellen Molony  :)was 22 when married on 8 Nov 1885. Father listed as James Molony (on both m cert father occ Labourer) Ellens residence is Up Somborne which is a 5 min walk from Little Somborne if that - her occ is Servant so address seems fine.

I still can't find any b cert for Ellen 1863 or James 1857, but I wonder if, if the parents Mary and James came over from Ireland around the Potato famine and had the children in England, was it not before something like 1864 when births had to be registered in Ireland, so maybe it never occured to Mary and james that births had to be registered in England???

I still haven't found out when Ellen died or where buried :). Her husband George Prangle who died 4 Aug 1920 is buried in Sparsholt Church yard, have been to the grave, it has a stone for him and it looks like a single grave, but maybe if she died afterwards maybe she is with him but stone not changed.

However, there is an old family story that 'a Molony is buried at Little Somborne Church'. This church is no longer used for worship, and had a look for stone and nothing found, although do realise people couldn't always afford to put a stone up. But if there is a Molony at Little Somborne (All Saints) then it could be either of the parents James or Mary (have d cert 10 Apr 1890 age 68, James Molony in attendance Kings Somborne) or either Ellen or James.

I know that a birth cert of James and Ellen would confirm, but at the moment there seems to be too much coinsidence for them not to be siblings, especially now James m cert also has father James.  I thank you for your help.
Kindest of regards.

Offline cjw66

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 20:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Re Ellen Molony.
1871,1891,1901 and 1911 censuses all show Ellen born in Winchester.
Year of birth is abt 1863 or 64.
I can't find her birth registered at all. I want to find her mother's maiden name. :)
Ellen's parents were James Molony and Mary.
Have also searched variations of spelling of Molony/Moloney/Malony etc, still no mothers maiden name found.
I wonder if anyone has any knowledge where I can look to see if a baptism for Ellen Molony with parents of James and Mary happened in the Winchester area in C. 1863.
I believe that James and Mary married in Ireland before coming to England.
From 1871 the family are living in Up Sombourne, nr Winchester.
Thank you for any help
 :D

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 August 14 03:44 BST (UK) »
As Winchester was then a Garrison town I'm wondering if there was an Army Service link that brought them there?  In addition to Winchester St Thomas Parish Church, there was a Garrison Chapel in St Thomas Parish serving the Barracks.

For most of his life James junr, husband of Annie, claimed Wiltshire [Potterne?] his birthplace.  It's interesting to note that in 1871 at East Stratton, near Winchester, there was a James MALONEY aged 14 recorded born Devizes [postal town to Potterne, which is only 2 miles S.W.].  See RG10 1207 folio 65 page 14 – schedule no. 79.
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 August 14 10:52 BST (UK) »
I still haven't found out when Ellen died or where buried :). Her husband George Prangle who died 4 Aug 1920 is buried in Sparsholt Church yard, have been to the grave, it has a stone for him and it looks like a single grave, but maybe if she died afterwards maybe she is with him but stone not changed.

Are you aware of any family links with Hertfordshire?  There is this death registration which appears feasible:  GRO Deaths Sep 1936   PRANGLE, Ellen   73   St Albans 3a 867

As an illustration, my maternal grandmother had a pre-paid funeral plan which brought her back from Lincolnshire to Kings Worthy in 1950.  In the absence of such a plan it is likely she would have been interred where she died.