Author Topic: Missing Husband Thomas Godden/Godwin  (Read 5240 times)

Offline hampshire-grandma

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Missing Husband Thomas Godden/Godwin
« on: Wednesday 14 March 12 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Godden married Mary Ann Knowlton in Lyndhurst 15 November, 1868.  Both give abode as Lyndhurst.  Thomas is 25 and Mary is 20.  Thomas is a labourer, and gives his father as also Thomas, a labourer.  Mary gives her father as James Knowlton, a policeman.

Fine so far, but then it gets very difficult as Thomas is not with Mary in any of the censuses. She doesn't describe herself as a widow, and she carries on having children.  He may be the Thomas GODDEN aged 6 in Minstead in 1851, and aged 17, but then as GODWIN, in Lyndhurst in 1861, parents Thomas and Ann.  but I can't prove that he is this Thomas unless I find him with Mary Ann.

I have wondered whether he may have been at sea, but I don't know how to find out.  When Mary's offspring married, some of them give their father as Thomas, a baker.
Mary is in Eling workhouse with some of her children in 1881, and one of her daughters has been adopted.  I can't find Mary in 1891, and in 1901 she is a widow and back living with her stepfather John Starmes/Stormes/Storms.

A real puzzle.  Grateful for any help please.   I know there are some great detectives on this site!

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Husband Thomas Godden/Godwin
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 14:03 GMT (UK) »
What were her childrens names.?
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Where were Thomas and Mary born?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 22:53 GMT (UK) »
There's a Thomas Godden aged 19 in 1861 who is an able seaman.  Birthplace down as Cosham Hants - could he be your man?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Ann E

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi, in Family History: Registers of Seamen's Services
< http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/search-results.asp?searchtype=browserefine&query=first_name%3dthomas%7clast_name%3dgodwin%20%7cplace%3d%20&catid=15&pagenumber=1&querytype=1&mediaarray=*

No Thomas Godden but 2 Thomas Godwin in Hants.

Thomas Godwin, b Portsmouth, Hampshire  10 June 1846
Continuous Service Number:  11365A volunteered 11 July 1860
 ADM 139/514

Thomas Godwin, b  22 July 1844 Southampton
Official Number:  43253
ADM 188/10

Ann E
Lacey, IOW, Lacey, Shearstone  SOM, Higgins, Tagg, Sammons, Jackson, Reeves Cowley, Wale OXFORD. Robert Collinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 March 12 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much all of you for your replies.  Here are some answers to your questions.  Mary was born in Minstead in the New Forest, Hampshire in 1848, nee Knowlton.  I can't tell you for sure where Thomas was born, as he isn't with her in any of the censuses. At marriage both of them are living in Lyndhurst.  He may well be the Thomas, son of Thomas and Ann living in Minstead in 1851, and in Lyndhurst in 1861, and born Minstead 1844/5.

Thank you for the info about seamen.  I am investigating them.  There is a Thomas Godwin in Portsea, and born Portsea, aged 17, and a baker, lodging in Nile St in 1861. I need to track him in other censuses.

Here are Mary's children:
William born 1866/7 Lyndhurst, probably born as Knowlton
Charles born 1871 Lyndhurst who died in 1880
Robert born 1872 Lyndhurst
Samuel born 1874, Lyndhurst
Keturah Charlotte born 1875, Lyndhurst, and given for adoption
Alice Maud M born 1881, Lyndhurst
John born 1885, Sway

Thank you all.  I'll keep trying

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 March 12 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Have baptisms been found for any of the children, and if so what occupation is given for Thomas? Ditto their birth/childhood death certs?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 March 12 20:52 GMT (UK) »
There is a baptism for a Thomas Godwin, son of Thomas and Ann Godwin in Minstead 29 Sep 1844.  As you say, he is in Lyndhurst area in 1861.  This is the only one I can dind with a father Thomas at the moment.

Given that Mary Ann was also born there, this may be a distinct possibility.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 March 12 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Little Nell.  I too think that's the most likely Thomas.  I've seen his bp at HRO, but I would like to see Thomas with Mary Ann together in just one census to be sure.  1851 census says he was born Lyndhurst and 1861 says born Minstead, and then he disappears.

He is Godwin in the two censuses and Godden on the marriage cert.  Some of Mary Ann's children have their father  as a baker on their marriage certs.  i've found a Thomas of about the right age in the 1881 census, who is a ship's cook, and at sea, but he says that he is single, and born Southampton.

In 1861 census there's a Thomas Godwin boarding in Nile St Portsea who is aged 17, and a baker, born Portsea.

I'm doing this tree for a friend and I don't think I'll ever be sure about Thomas.  Is the 1891 census very sparse?  I can find very few of the Godwins in it.
I shan't give up yet!