Author Topic: John William Woods - reporter for the Portsmouth Times in 1859  (Read 588 times)

Offline KEW28

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John William Woods - reporter for the Portsmouth Times in 1859
« on: Saturday 27 September 14 05:28 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out more about John William Woods.  He was born in Portsmouth in 1836, his father John H Woods was a gunner in the royal navy.  In the 1841 and 1851 census he is living with his grandfather William Woods, with his mother and sister, in 27 Cumberland Street, his father is not there.

He married Elizabeth Garland in 1858, and they had a daughter Matilda Jane in 1859.  On her birth certificate he is a reporter for the Portsmouth Times, and they are still living at 27 Cumberland Street.

In the 1861 census his wife is still living with his grandfather at Cumberland Street (I think it says W for widow) with their daughter, and also Johns father.

I haven't been able to find any details regarding his birth (the date is from the census returns) or his death. 

Online cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John William Woods - reporter for the Portsmouth Times in 1859
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 September 14 07:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,
There is a possible christening on familysearch
John William Woods
St Thomas, Portsmouth
9th August 1835
Parents John William and Matilda Elizabeth
No birth date I m afraid.
https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3Ajohn~%20%2Bsurname%3Awoods~%20%2Bbirth_place%3Ahampshire~%20%2Bbirth_year%3A1835-1837~

Cathy :)
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk