Author Topic: Irish Ancestor  (Read 2626 times)

Offline adeleforster

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Irish Ancestor
« on: Sunday 03 November 13 09:42 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out more information about my great-grandfather, John Harrington, who was born in Fermoy, County Cork, Ireland in 1845. The joined the army at the age of sixteen and went to India for the rest of his life.
Which British Regiment were in the Barracks in Fermoy on that date? Did they eat posted to India?

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Irish Ancestor
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 November 13 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Have a read of this thread, I haven't gone through it in detail but India crops up a few times.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=322135.0

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 November 13 20:40 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out more information about my great-grandfather, John Harrington, who was born in Fermoy, County Cork, Ireland in 1845. The joined the army at the age of sixteen and went to India for the rest of his life.
Which British Regiment were in the Barracks in Fermoy on that date? Did they eat posted to India?
Hi & welcome to rootschat. Is it only information on fermoy you need. There is a marriage record for John Harrington in Bengal India in 1864 but you possibly have this :)

Offline adeleforster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 November 13 01:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that - I don't have the marriage record, except that his wife was called Anne Marie Byrne.  I would like to know how I can see the record please.

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 November 13 15:05 GMT (UK) »
There is a large collection of India records on familysearch.org also on www.fibis.org which is where I saw a marriage for a John Harrington to a Cecilia Kirby in bengal in 1864. Cannot see a marriage to Anne Marie Byrne.
There are baptism records to John & Ann Marie incl
John Joseph 28 March 1871(dob) Edward Ernest 20 Sept 1872,Mary Rose Margaret 17 May 1874.

There are 2 marriage records for John Joseph H.
1st 9th Jan 1899 to Lillian Maud Grant
2nd 18 Dec 1917 to Mabel Enid Loader, both were widowed @ the time of this marriage

I am sure if you go through the different collections for India on family search you will find other relevant records including Burial :)

Offline adeleforster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 01:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much. I will certainly browse the site you recommended. I do know my great grandfather's family and their offspring in turn, which don't match the records you turned up. But with the information you have given me, I am sure I will unearth something!

Offline sharon fowler-smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 January 14 01:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi I'm looking for information on my  ggrandfather michael murphy. And his wife my ggrandmother I don't have her  name they  lived in blarney street 1950 along with there daugHter kathleen my grandmother.?? I don't have much to go on any help would be much appreciated 

Offline saddles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 January 14 02:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi I'm looking for information on my  ggrandfather michael murphy. And his wife my ggrandmother I don't have her  name they  lived in blarney street 1950 along with there daugHter kathleen my grandmother.?? I don't have much to go on any help would be much appreciated

Check your PM.
Townson - Cartmel                      O'Malley - Askeaton, Ireland
Sadler - Dymock & Salford           Tomlinson - St Peters, Leeds
Wilkinson - Salford                      Chant - Sherbourne, Dorset
Garner - Pendleton