Author Topic: Looking for GREENWOOD surname, Where is Tully, Antrim?  (Read 2309 times)

Offline BorninDubuque

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for GREENWOOD surname, Where is Tully, Antrim?
« on: Sunday 16 November 14 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am looking for help in locating the proper townland of Tully in County Antrim to search for any information on my ancestor, Joseph Greenwood b. Feb 1823.  Joseph was listed as being from "Tully, County Antrim" in his obituary. He emigrated to the US 1847-48, married there 1856 and died there in 1902.  He appears to have had a brother (or possibly cousin), Hugh Greenwood b.1831-32 who emigrated in 1847 but not with Joseph.  They are buried together.

I have found many variations of Tully, but hopefully the obituary was correct and I will start there.

I have found
Tully, (Civil Parish) Ballyclug, (Barony) Antrim Lower, (Poor Law Union) Ballymena
and
Tully, Layd, Glenarm Lower, Ballycastle
and
Tully, Tickmacrevan, Glenarm Lower, Larne
and
Tully, North, - Loughguile, Dunluce Upper, Ballymoney
and
Tully, South - Loughguile, Dunluce Upper, Ballymoney

Are you aware of any GREENWOOD lines that would have lived in any of the above in 1850 or earlier?

I paid for a search in 1998 through the Ulster Historical Foundation, which identified some Greenwoods in Antrim, but NO Greenwoods in the above parishes in the Householders' Index (which includes Griffith's Valuation of c1860 and the Tithe Applotment Books of c1830). 

Greenwoods were found in Griffith's 1860 in Parishes Portglenone, Slievenagh, Connor and in Tithe Valuation 1825 in Ahoghill (included Portglenone and Craigs) parish.  There is a Tullynahinnion townland in Portglenone and a Tullynamullan townland in Connor.

I am willing to share a copy of the full results of the search I paid for in case they should be of help but it is too large to attach to this query.  Mostly the results were tantalizing but no clear connections could be drawn to my Joseph Greenwood b.1823.

I am unsure of Joseph's religion prior to arriving in the US.  He did marry in the Catholic Church, but is not buried in the Catholic Cemetery with his wife.  There seems to have been some type of agreement with his brother/cousin, Hugh Greenwood and a woman named Lillie McCrory (Maiden name) to be buried together in another state.  One of his sons family was Catholic,  the other one was Protestant.

I would greatly appreciate any help or suggestion about where to look next!

Thank-you!

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for GREENWOOD surname, Where is Tully, Antrim?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 November 14 14:26 GMT (UK) »
I think some websites were not around in 1998.  I would start by exhausting http://www.billmacafee.com
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide