Author Topic: Paris Farm, Lashenden  (Read 3329 times)

Offline Annielizz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Paris Farm, Lashenden
« on: Monday 23 September 13 16:56 BST (UK) »
Hello - I'm hoping someone will know the answer to this.  I'm trying to find the whereabouts of Paris Farm, Lashenden, Biddenden - my great grandmother inherited it when her first husband died in 1895 and it would be interesting to at least know where the farm was or to see it on an old map, but I'm getting nowhere.  I'm told that Headcorn Aerodrome was constructed on farmland in this area and I wonder if Paris Farm was part of it.

It would be great if someone could help.

Thanks
Annie

Offline everlea

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Paris Farm, Lashenden
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 September 13 17:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie - I've just had a quick look on Find My Past Old Newspaper Records for Paris Farm & I see a ref from 1895 to "Paris Farm, East Mailing (think that should be Malling),close to village, abt 2 miles from Mailing(Malling) station."
I know that's not v specific, but hope it may be of some help.

Everlea.

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 September 13 20:18 BST (UK) »
The history of Headcorn Aerodrome says that it was built on Shenley Farm

http://www.headcornaerodrome.co.uk/history.html
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline grandarog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Original Ancestor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 September 13 20:40 BST (UK) »
Your great grandmothers and her husbands name will assist us to help hopefully. :)
WAGHORN/E
KENWARD
HARRIS
DIXON
MARSHALL
MERCER
CARE
FAGG
RUSSELL
WOODRUFF      

All these  Families were Born and Bred in Kent

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 September 13 21:20 BST (UK) »
When doing a search on old maps a Paris Farm comes up near Hadlow but that seems too far north. There is a Paris Corner just north east of Biddenden.

However as others have said finding them on the 1891 and 1901 census may be key as then you can follow the enumerators description of the destrict to see if that helps. (The 1911 threw up the Paris Farm, East Malling mentioned above)
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Annielizz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 September 13 21:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all of your replies.

So the farm wasn't used in the aerodrome construction, that question's solved.  I think the Paris Farm at East Malling is too far away - the Will is quite specific with 'Paris Farm, Lashenden, Biddenden'.  I'm wondering if the farm was near Paris Corner Biddenden.

Their surname was Bridge but doesn't help really as they lived in Smarden rather than at the farm.

Thanks again
Annie

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 September 13 22:26 BST (UK) »
Headcorn Aerodrome was also know as Lashenden Airfield  so that part of the address sounds right.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline everlea

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 September 13 10:53 BST (UK) »
I just Googled "Paris Farm, Biddenden" & saw a golf centre at "Paris Farm, Maidstone."

Don't know if that's too far away. What a lot of "Paris Farms" in Kent!

Everlea

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 September 13 21:48 BST (UK) »
There was certainly a Lashenden Farm in Biddenden (1881 census) and people living at Lashenden in Biddenden (1911) so it does look likely.  Is it possible that the deceased husband inherited it from family which may help locate it?

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk