Author Topic: Help finding the final two of 16 children please  (Read 1441 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help finding the final two of 16 children please
« on: Sunday 11 May 14 19:46 BST (UK) »
The 1911 census confirms that John Thomas Winter (b Houghton 1860) and Ruth Leadbetter (b Benfieldside 1862) married in 1879 and had 16 children, 13 of which were still alive.

I've found most of them via BMD & census records but am struggling with the last two, who I assume must have been born and died within census years (the third death is Ada Elizabeth in 1903).  The children I have so far are (deep breath):

Mary Isabella (Jan 1880), Alice (Oct q 1881) & Ada Elizabeth (Apr q 1883) -  Houghton Le Spring

Ruth (Jan q 1885) - Ebchester

John George (Jan q 1887), James Chadwick (Mar 1888), Robert Christopher (Jan q 1890), Thomas Snowball (Jan q 1891), Joseph Ernest (Apr q 1893) &  Albert Edward (Apr q 1894) - all Allendale Cottages.

William (Mar 1897), Samuel Taylor (Dec 1901) & Elsie (Jan q 1904) - Cornsay

Edith (Oct q 1906) - Chester le Street.

The obvious gap seems to be before & after William, and after ruling some out I think I have three possibilities, all in the Lanchester registration district:

Christopher 1895-1896,  Rochester 1898-1898 & Lillian May 1899-1900.

The first two don't feel right - Christopher has already been used as a middle name and Rochester just doesn't sound right for a mining family.

Can anyone help me either rule in / out any of the above, or perhaps provide some alternatives. 

Many thanks in advance
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding the final two of 16 children please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 May 14 20:57 BST (UK) »
There is a burial record for Rochester Winter born and died 1898, on Durham Records online. The Free details give the address as Temple Town, Consett.

May or may not have a father's name in the burial record to confirm/deny its the child of the family you are looking for.

Boo

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 May 14 21:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks Boo,

I think that rules him out then as the family was in Cornsay by then & had no known links to Consett. 

These ones are always the hardest to crack so I appreciate the help.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline sassy3670

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 July 14 13:48 BST (UK) »
Hi

Might have one Joseph Ernest registered in 1893 10a 331 which you have but there is also a George Chambers same 1893 10a 332 sometimes this could indicate a twin when registered one after the other with same surname
Graham, Bryson. Dixon, Taylor, Mullen, Harding, Atkinson

Offline sassy3670

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 July 14 13:51 BST (UK) »
forget that was a no go have found his parents..sorry for that
Graham, Bryson. Dixon, Taylor, Mullen, Harding, Atkinson

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 July 14 13:57 BST (UK) »
forget that was a no go have found his parents..sorry for that

Hey Sassy - please don't apologise, I really appreciate you looking.   

I've managed to find No. 15, Lillian May, Born 1899 & Died 1900, both Lanchester, so just the last one to find.....

Offline pb3

• RootsChat Member
  • 'Always look on the bright side...'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 19:21 BST (UK) »
Jomot

At the risk of muddying the water, you may be interested in perusing the attached PDF.

PatB.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 19:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Pat

Many thanks for this - Florence Mary Elizabeth is going to give me a few headaches I think, as if her age and fathers details are right then she was born when he was about 13 and most certainly before he married Ruth  ???

And just to add to the fun my FTM file has gone and corrupted - I'm thinking maybe it just cant take any more family scandal  :o