Author Topic: One of my Snowballs is missing - Wolsingham  (Read 4847 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
One of my Snowballs is missing - Wolsingham
« on: Saturday 28 June 14 16:54 BST (UK) »
Thomas Snowball spent much of his life in Newbottle Lane, Houghton-le-Spring & consistently gave his dob & birthplace as 1800/1801 Wolsingham.

I have been through the BTs for Wolsingham and found a 1794 marriage between William Snowball & Sarah Henderson, plus the baptisms of John (1795), William (1797), Hackworth (1802) and Hannah (1805), but no Thomas.

On the baptism for Hackworth it says he is the 4th son and as Thomas later gave one of his children the middle name Hackworth this would suggest some connection, but I just cant find the baptism record to confirm that Thomas was born of the same parents.

Other trees also have Joseph b1796 but I cant find that either, although that would potentially make Hackworth the 5th son not the 4th.

Could someone please cast another set of eyes over the Wolsingham BTs just to check I haven't missed it.  William (1797) is on p49 and Hackworth (1802) is on p75 so it should be somewhere between the two.  Failing that, any idea how else I can confirm Thomas's parentage?

Thanks in advance
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: One of my Snowballs is missing - Wolsingham
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 June 14 10:39 BST (UK) »
Well with a fresh pair of eyes after a good nights sleep I've been through the BTs another three times and its definitely not there....  :(

Thanks anyway anyone who looked.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 June 14 11:17 BST (UK) »
Since the BTs are a handwritten copy of the registers there could have been an omission or a mistake. You should check against the image of the original register at the archives.

I was struggling for a couple of years with one family where both an index and the BT had errors in them. The microfilm of the register put me back on the right track.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 June 14 14:57 BST (UK) »
There was a total wrong partners name in one bishop transcript I looked at.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 June 14 15:11 BST (UK) »
Funnily enough, I was listening to the radio on Friday, and a young lady was on, stating that she had married a "Snowball". That was the first time that I had heard that surname.

Regards

Malky

Online angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandma & Grandad married 23 Aug 1918
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 June 14 09:03 BST (UK) »
Can't help with your partcular query about Thomas but I have Snowballs in my tree. Two brothers, William (1790-1864) and Cuthbert (1799-1830) moved down to Wolsingham from Haydon Bridge. I wonder if there might be a connection between the two families?
Watson, Snowball, Pyburn, Heppell, Ferry, Holmes, Clennett, Kidd, Pescod, Bage Co.Duham & Northumberland
Stockton, Watson, Bage, Nellist N. Yorks
Challnor/Challoner Cheshire/Shropshire. Moore, Mansell: Wellington, Shropshire
Davies/ David, Coity, Glamorgan
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 June 14 09:50 BST (UK) »
My Great Aunt married a man with the middle name Snowball (can't give names as they are both alive age 91).  He was born in Lanchester, Durham, his mother was Hannah Snowball b. 1901 in Pity Me, Durham.  I believe Hannah's parents were Thomas Snowball and Jane Charlton.  Any connection?
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 June 14 10:17 BST (UK) »
Sorry I cant actually help with your original query, but can just sympathise.

This sort of thing comes up all too often, certainly I have instances in my research where there is lots of circumstantial evidence as to where someone fits in, but no actual christening to confirm their parentage! So frustrating isnt it?

The continuation of the name Hackworth certainly links Thomas with this family. But of course does not mean he is necessarily another sibling.  The fact that Hackworth was helpfully recorded as the fourth son certainly does add more weight. Of course, if this elusive Joseph exists ( personally I would take no notice of online trees unless they can back it) then that rules out your Thomas as being the fourth son.

I would echo tbe advise to check tne original prs at the relevsnt loical record office, and if Thomas isnt then found at Wolsingham to also check neighbouring parishes, in case he was christened there (depending on dads occupation may have moved briefly, ie ag lab, or briefly worshipped elsewhere for a while, maybe didnt like vicar, or rellies living in neighbouring parish and had a joint christening, all sorts of possible reasons).
Also, what occupation did William have? Did he leave a Will? If so, that might confirm names of all his children, and therefore either include or exclude a Thomas, thus adding more circumstantial evidence.
Just some thoughts.

Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 June 14 11:33 BST (UK) »
Durham Records Online is a most useful resource, and  has Wolsingham St Mary & St Stephen Baptisms for 1631 to 1854, all taken from Parish Records apart from the years 1852 - 1854, which were taken from the Bishops Transcripts.

http://www.durhamrecordsonline.com/Parish_Record_Info.php

There is only one Thomas Snowball baptism in Wolsingham during those years - a Thomas Thompson Snowball, baptised 1826.

The other three baptisms you mention show up on the free index on Durham Records Online

a young lady was on, stating that she had married a "Snowball". That was the first time that I had heard that surname.

Snowball is a fairly common surname here in the north-east of England  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk