Author Topic: Where was Lily/Lilly/Lillie Payne born 1877 in Sheffield post 1897?  (Read 1351 times)

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Time Wasted is Time Lost
    • View Profile
Where was Lily/Lilly/Lillie Payne born 1877 in Sheffield post 1897?
« on: Tuesday 14 October 14 20:36 BST (UK) »
I have been struggling to find Lily Payne born abt. 1877 in Sheffield in any census after 1891 when she was a servant aged 14 in the house of Frederick George Mayor in Tutbury, Burton on Trent Staffs.  In1881 she was with her father Enoch Payne and his family in Sheffield. 
She was present at her brother's wedding (George Enoch Payne) in 1897 at Woodville, Derbyshire.
So where was she after 1897?  She may have been married in 1901 but so far I have not found a marriage record that fits.  I have tried cross referencing marriages on the BMD with the 1901 & 1911 censuses but so far without success.
Her first name on the BMD is spelt Lily, in the 1881 census it is spelt Lilly and at her brother's wedding in 1897 when she is a witness she signs her name Lillie!
I am hoping someone can help me get through this brick wall that I have encountered for many years now.
If anyone can help trace Lily/Lilly/Lillie Payne it would be really appreciated.
Andy Cadman
The main names that I am researching into at the moment are Cadman,(originating from Bulkington, Warwickshire), Smedley, (Leicestershire and Derbyshire), Paynes (Leicestershire, Yorkshire and Derbyshire) and Udall - you will also find several other names on my web page. I look forward to E-Mails from anyone who would like to share or talk about our family history.