Author Topic: Richard Quinn (b: 1795?) & Mary O'Donell (b: 1795?)  (Read 6012 times)

Offline robertdpittman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Richard Quinn (b: 1795?) & Mary O'Donell (b: 1795?)
« on: Thursday 14 November 13 03:35 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to locate information on Catherine Quinn's family.  Here is what I have so far.

According to her US death certifcate, Catherine Quinn was born May 18, 1835.  Her parents were Richard Quinn and Mary O'Donnell.
Family verbal history says she was from Carrick-on-Suir, County Tipperary, Ireland.  She probably imagrated to the USA about 1855, plus or minus a couple of years.

Catherine immegrated to Pennsylvania, USA and married Matthew Fogarty on 22 Aug 1857 in Philadelphia. Again, according to family verbal history, Catherine had an older brother Patrick
that was exiled to Australia by Queen Victoria for his participation in an uprising.  This was before Catherine was born (1835).
Catherine also had a sister Mary that came to the US and married Garret Murphy.

Assuming the family history is based on facts but might not be 100% accurate, Patrick probably would have been born between 1814 and 1820.  Again assuming he was a teenager particpating in some sort of uprising.
That means Richard Quinn and Mary O'Donnell would be probably be married between 1813 and 1819, give or take a year or two.  That means they probably were born between 1793 to 1799, in or around Carrick-on-Suir, County Tipperary.

1.  What would have been the uprising that Patrick engaged in?
2.  Any information on Patrick in Australia would be welcome.
3.  Any information on Richard Quinn and Mary O'Donnell would be welcome.
McDonough
Morrissey
Day
Kelleher
Fogarty
Farrell

Offline Westcoasters

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Quinn (b: 1795?) & Mary O'Donell (b: 1795?)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 December 14 07:39 GMT (UK) »
The great Irish diaspora! I have been searching for the family of my husband's great grandfather, Thomas Quinn.  I can't access his death info as he died in a sandstorm in Wilcannia, NSW, Australia, having left his wife and daughter in New Zealand.  However there were two other Quinn men who lived nearby on the west coast of the South Island of New Zealand - attracted by the Gold Rush, no doubt - John and Patrick Quinn.  I have accessed their Death Certificates and their parents are Richard Quinn and Mary O'Donnell.  They came to New Zealand via Australia (Victoria).  Patrick was born c. 1834 Co Tipperary and died in 1891.  He was a hotelkeeper in Arahura.  He married Annie Houlahan ? in Australia, they had 6 sons and 3 daughters - the oldest, Richard (1869-1918), was also a hotelkeeper. Patrick's brother John (c. 1834 - 1877) was a goldminer.  He married Margaret Nelson in 1859 in Victoria and came to NZ in about 1869/1870.  They had 3 sons and 4 daughters. Thomas (c. 1840-1882) was a draper in Kumara and also a miner.  He married Mary Foley (from Ballina, Tipperary and who's family also went to Victoria, Aus) and they only had one daughter. There is probably more to discover so I'll keep digging!

Offline robertdpittman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 December 14 11:23 GMT (UK) »
That is fantastic news.  This is the first break in a long, long time. If you find anything else, please post it.

Bob
McDonough
Morrissey
Day
Kelleher
Fogarty
Farrell

Offline Westcoasters

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 December 14 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob, do you have the sister, Margaret, who married a Denis McCarthy in Canada?  I have a lot on the family in New Zealand but I'm not sure how much you want to know.  Are you on ancestry.com?  I do have a private family tree which I gather I can allow access for specific people - I could try that if you want.  Paddy

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 December 14 00:37 GMT (UK) »
http://www.libraryireland.com/JoyceHistory/Tithe.php

Patrick may have been involved in the Tithe War.  Link given here has some general info about it.

Offline robertdpittman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 December 14 13:03 GMT (UK) »
I do have a public Ancestry tree. Here is a link to Catherine Quinn. http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/41077519/person/19575226378

Most of what I know about the Quinn's is based on oral history.  It has proven to be close but not very factual.  There was a sister, Mary Quinn, that married Garrett Murphy in the Philadelphia, PA area.  I do not know of any other siblings.

I would love to find out as much as possible about the Quinn's.  If you have a private tree, please use my Ancestry username and make me a guest to the private tree.  I would love to see what you have.

Bob
McDonough
Morrissey
Day
Kelleher
Fogarty
Farrell

Offline Westcoasters

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 January 15 01:55 GMT (UK) »
Following the Hamilton, Wentworth, Ontario connection ... Richard Quinn died there in 1914 aged 65 yrs - a boiler manufacturer.  His parents were given as Michael Quinn and Alice Cummeford.  Richard Quinn was baptised May 11 1849 in Ballyneale, Carrick-on-Suir to Michael Quinn and Alice Comerford.  Sponsors were John Comerford and Mary Quinn.  Alice Comerford was a sponsor in the baptism of Terence Quinn in Ballyneale, Jan 14 1850.  This Terence was the son of Richard Quinn and Mary Murphy (whom I think was 'our' Richard's second wife) and was living ( along with his wife Johanna nee White) with Richard and Mary in Ballyneale at their respective deaths.  There was another Richard Quinn in Hamilton who was born c. 1845 to an Edmund Quinn and a Mary Quinn.  There was a Richard Quinn born in Ballyneale to Edmund Quinn and Mary Nugent in 1842 which could be him.  What I am missing so far is a Richard Quinn born to Richard and Mary O'Donnell ...