Author Topic: Donald Campbell  (Read 26444 times)

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Donald Campbell
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 03 October 10 00:33 BST (UK) »
Clazey,

Do you think that it  was Hugh Campbell and Magdelan that sailed to Prince Edward Island, so it would be hugh's family/parents you will need to find.
Depending on his age when he sailed and knowing that no Hugh Campbells were born between 1700 - 1730, he must have been born in the late 1600's.
It may well state on the shipping his name, where he came from, possibly age of himself, wife and children it could even mention next of kin (in case of loss of life etc on board ship) If these facts can be confirmed, then we know who to look for in births/marriages and an approximate time frame.  No mention of an Alexander though? Did he stay at home in Scotland?
marcie.  Would be interested to find a connection to my Campbells in Argyll.
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 03 October 10 01:41 BST (UK) »
This is speculation on my part until I do more digging... I think Hugh Campbell was the first from Scotland...note the purchase of 150 acres in Cape Fear River by Donald Campbell 20 or so years later...possibly a son of Hugh and Magdalen.   At the same time, there is a hugh fullerton...and in looking through NC records...there seems to be only one line of Fullertons...and note it is a William Fullerton who seems to be looking after debts owed John Campbell as well as a Robert Campbell in the 1789...I think it was John who ended up in PEI...who had a son Donald...who had John married to Rix...Margaret Fullerton might have had Hugh as a parent...hence the children of John and Rix....Adelaide and Hugh John...

Will see what else I can scare up!
Tough, Keith, Kerr, Donaldson, Clazey, Stephenson, Jardine, Spry, Jewell. Oswald, Middlemiss, Harper, Carter, Hutchinson, Scott, Lamb.

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 03 October 10 17:40 BST (UK) »
Clazey,
Have a look, I posted a request for you about sailings from Britain to where-ever and Andycand and fifer have come up with some suggestions and some links.

Finding family who have sailed -  (I think it was posted in the General section)
will check and come back

marcie
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 04 October 10 00:07 BST (UK) »
Clazey,
Do we know if Hugh was married before he travelled, or did he and Magdelan meet in Canada and then marry.  Might be an idea to check for a marriage cert for them.
Meantime I will see what I can find out in Argyll.
marcie
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 04 October 10 00:55 BST (UK) »
OK,
There are no marriages for Hugh Campbell and Magdalen in Argyll.

There is a birth in 1679 of a Hugh Campbell in Argyll the only one.
05.01.1679 in Campbelltown Parents William Campbell and Jenat Gib
In Fornication.

There are 18 records of Marriages for Hugh Campbells between 1747-1794
Will check prior to 1747 to find any results.
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 21:32 BST (UK) »
I suspect Hugh and Magdalen married in NC...the will was proved in 1737 so either Hugh was young or old when he died! 
The library is open late tomorrow night and will see if I can find any birth, marriage records...

sharon
Tough, Keith, Kerr, Donaldson, Clazey, Stephenson, Jardine, Spry, Jewell. Oswald, Middlemiss, Harper, Carter, Hutchinson, Scott, Lamb.

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 22:09 BST (UK) »
Sharon,

If the Hugh I found born 1679 is the one who was in Canada and whose will was proven in 1737, he would have been about 58 when he died.  It may be a good idea to find a marriage for him and Magdalen your end.  Or check and see if he also was born in Prince Edward Island, and prove who his parents are, otherwise we know his parents are Wm and Jenat

marjorie
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 03:05 BST (UK) »
Hugh and Magdalen never made it to Canada.  They had land...quite a bit along Cape Fear River in North Carolina, then a british colony.  I think the Donald I found several years later also buying 150 acres in the same location could have been a son...or if you are right...might even have been a grandson.  I had just begun to look for records online for that area...my parents live in South Carolina very close to the North Carolina area in question.  Given the age of the records...may end up having to go there UNLESS  I can find someone on random acts of genealogical kindness to do a look up...

sharon

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 19:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon,
You reckon that they met and married in North Carolina.  Showing my ignorance but where in that part of the country is that, more america side than Canada.

when you know if you have the right info. could you let me know and if you still need help with the Scottish side I would be only too happy to help.

My family nans side are Smiths married to Omay married to Campbells, Galbraiths etc.  There are two lots of Campbells.  The other is my grgrans sisters daughters husbands mothers' family.  I think HUH!? comes to mind ???
marjorie
 searl rogers sutherland