Author Topic: Dugald MacCallum - who and where are you?  (Read 2390 times)

Offline MissMacCallum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dugald MacCallum - who and where are you?
« on: Monday 09 December 13 14:14 GMT (UK) »
OK - I'll try to sum this up the best I can based on the answers uncovered in my last post regarding the other half of this family:

I have previously posted in this forum asking for info on my great-grandmother Mary MacCallum (b. 1855, Lismore.) Since I couldn't for the life of me find any likely match for either her and her family in the censuses or a birth certificate with a pair of parents matching the information given on her marriage certificate, it was soon uncovered that she most likely is an illegitimate child. That also explained why her mother was listed as Catherine Campbell at her marriage, and Catherine Buchanan at her death. As soon as someone tipped me of a Mary Buchanan born in 1855 in Lismore, the pieces fell into place. I found the birth certificate - the right mother, but no father listed. So this couple of gg-grandparents seems to never have been married, and this is where the clues stops. I have managed to trace Catherine and her marriage to a Donald Campbell a couple of years later, as well as a sister that's living with Mary and her husband later (Catherine Campbell, b. 1866) so they are accounted for.

But... Mary's father is listed as Dugald MacCallum in both her marriage - and death certificate. There is no other info on him other than him being a shepherd. Since I haven't found Mary together with either of her parents in any census I feel like I don't know where to start looking for this person. What does one do when ancestors leaves so few leads?

Also - Mary uses MacCallum as surname later in life even though she is listed as Mary Buchanan at birth, so she must have had some sort of relationship with this Dugald? Or?

Previous posts covering Mary and her mother Catherine Buchanan:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=661075.20
Cameron (Morvern, Oban)
MacCallum (Lismore)
Buchanan (Lismore)
Connell (Lismore)
Leishman (Cumbernauld)
Adam (Lanark/Fife)
Gilfillan (Lanark)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Dugald MacCallum - who and where are you?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 December 13 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There is a risk of duplicating info by raising another post.  The previous one ran to 3 pages and contains a lot of info
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 December 13 18:54 GMT (UK) »
I was about to post, when I saw Carol's comments. Think we are saying the same...although I am more verbose  ;D

Hi  :)

Can I give some advice? Great that you have linked to previous post, always helps  ;) But the post seems long, not sure all people will always want to engage from the begining and try to follow (they can if they want to, because you have sensibly added the link). Can you add some key details here on this post, as you are trying to revisit the family?

For example, you mention an 1855 birth cert (we like those!). What does it say? Normally these are fairly comprehensive for births, including parents' ages/birth places/marriage date etc.

When you revisit queries, it is always about people trying to add new info. Hope we can find something for you  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MissMacCallum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 December 13 19:37 GMT (UK) »
OK - I'm sorry :)

I have tried to summarize the previous post on Mary and her mother at the top before asking for this Dugald that there is no information on at all. This family is a puzzle, so the information is going to be a little chaotic..
Cameron (Morvern, Oban)
MacCallum (Lismore)
Buchanan (Lismore)
Connell (Lismore)
Leishman (Cumbernauld)
Adam (Lanark/Fife)
Gilfillan (Lanark)