Author Topic: Please Help With Burial Record  (Read 8285 times)

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Please Help With Burial Record
« on: Friday 14 February 14 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

My soon to be 83 year old father is the last of the Glen Orchy born Fletchers and he has been trying for years, through all sorts of channels, to establish his right to be buried in the family plot at Glenorchy Parish Church at Dalmally. His parents and infant sister are buried there. The problem is that the records for this plot have become 'lost' and the names of his family members were never inscribed on the stone. The last of those 3 burials took place in April 1950 and no one to attended that funeral, but my father, are living today. My father says that the Oban Times ran an obituary for his father and I'm wondering if it is possible to find an archived copy of it? It might give the place of burial. Looking for any proof for the burials of Annie Fletcher died September 1930, Catherine (nee McKinnon) Fletcher died December 1937 and Alexander Fletcher died April 1950. Thank you!!

Mary
in Canada
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline DORAN54

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Please Help With Burial Record
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 February 14 16:26 GMT (UK) »
don't they have a burial record in the church register?

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 February 14 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Think you would need a copy of the title deeds we have a family plot and as the deed holder was dead My sister had to pay to get the deeds transferred into her name and all our family had to sign a form agreeing with this .....You could try and e- mail Argyll & Bute offices and see if they can advise you http;//www.argyll-bute gov.uk

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 February 14 01:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosie,

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately it's the Argyll Council that says the records are lost. Dad has been in there personally to see them on more than one occasion and written letters too. The deed is long gone too as the plot was purchased possibly as far back as the late 1700s. The original owner (a relative) immigrated to America (later Canada) and passed his right to my line but my great great grandfather died on Mull, and my great grandfather died a distance from Glen Orchy too. They were buried near where they died. Probably 70+ passed before my infant aunt died suddenly in 1930 and the plot was used again. By being buried there, it proves the right in itself ... all we need now is some concrete record, besides my father's memory, that they are indeed buried there.

Mary
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My beautiful Mum & Uncle Neil
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 February 14 02:31 GMT (UK) »
I would email the Oban Times, telling the story and see what they say.

They are celebrating their 150th anniversary so may be able to help.

Failing that I would contact the Highland Archives in Inverness and see

what they say.

Joy :)
Anderson R&C & Orkney, Jack, Patience, Hood R&C, McVicar Argll & Glasgow, Gourlay Glasgow, Docherty Glasgow, McNicol Argyll, Leask Orkney, Cumming Okney,
Tait Orkney, Brown Orkney, Sinclair Orkney, Craigie Orkney, Foulis Orkney, Beard Gloucester & Bundarra NSW, Pamplin Cambridge & NSW, Ashman Cambridge, McCarthy Ireland & Glen Innes NSW, Raleigh Ireland, Connelly Ireland, Waldron Ireland.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My beautiful Mum & Uncle Neil
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 February 14 03:23 GMT (UK) »
Another thought...if you could get the name of the undertaker

they may have older records...just a thought :)

Joy :)
Anderson R&C & Orkney, Jack, Patience, Hood R&C, McVicar Argll & Glasgow, Gourlay Glasgow, Docherty Glasgow, McNicol Argyll, Leask Orkney, Cumming Okney,
Tait Orkney, Brown Orkney, Sinclair Orkney, Craigie Orkney, Foulis Orkney, Beard Gloucester & Bundarra NSW, Pamplin Cambridge & NSW, Ashman Cambridge, McCarthy Ireland & Glen Innes NSW, Raleigh Ireland, Connelly Ireland, Waldron Ireland.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 February 14 08:48 GMT (UK) »
There must be a map of the grave with records of all the lairs maybe if you contact the Oban Library they might know something or Lochgoilhead I will have a look for an address for them ...We viewed some records ourselves on family history and that is where we had to go  :) :)

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 February 14 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for those excellent replies, folks!

It is our understanding that all the cemeteries around were looked after locally and independently until some time around 1948 when they all came under one umbrella, the Argyll Council or a division of it. I imagine they collected up all the records kept at each cemetery. My father says that in the case of Glenorchy, the caretaker was for many, many years a Peter Sinclair. Peter was a local man of a native family. He kept good records but also knew a great deal about the families he dealt with. He was the man my grandfather went to when baby Annie Fletcher died in 1930. These things have to be dealt with quickly, but you also have to be sure. Peter Sinclair would not have allowed the burial of Annie in that plot unless he was absolutely certain it was the correct thing to do. Unfortunately, that local touch is now gone.

I was in touch with the local historical society and I was getting somewhere I thought but they recently changed their contact person so I may have to start over again. I messaged the Oban Times via their Facebook page just yesterday ... that might be a very good lead indeed.

This means a lot to my Dad. The Fletchers (originally Macinlesdairs) were in Glen Orchy for the better part of 1000 years. They were cattle dealers and drovers in the area around barren Achallader. My father was the last one ever born there. He visited the cemetery many times and his father pointed out a row of simple, unfinished field stones in the old burying area that marked the graves of some very early Fletcher ancestors. Those stones are gone now. My father just wants to know that he has the right to be buried with his immediate family and his ancestors should he choose to do so. At 83 years of age, I think this needs to be sorted soon.

Thanks again! :)
Mary

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 15 February 14 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Good luck with your research then did you try glenorchy parish .org.uk or even Edinburgh where they keep all the old parish records  :)