Author Topic: Catherine Florence/ William Third  (Read 2935 times)

Offline jimmain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Catherine Florence/ William Third
« on: Sunday 01 June 14 02:07 BST (UK) »
Catherine Florence married William Third 1891, St. Nicholas Aberdeen. Catherine’s parents (from the marriage record) were James Florence/ Jane Smith (my great-grandparents). James/ Jane Smith had children from 1871-1893. James Florence died 1923, Rayne Aberdeen. The puzzle for me is that in Catherine Florence’s death record, it mentions that her spouse was William Third, and that her parents were James Florence/ Catherine Raeburn. I could not find any records of a Catherine Raeburn marrying a James Florence from 1855 to 2000. I was not able to find any evidence of Catherine in any census record. I suspect that if James had remarried, there should be some evidence of his second wife. In the monumental inscription, it states: “Erected by James Florence, late farmer Horneoyne, Oyne, in loving memory of his son John, who died in the Royal Infirmary, Aberdeen, June 24, 1920, age 27 years. Also, the said James Florence, who died in Bonnyton, Rayne, July 19, 1923 age 74 years. Also, his wife, Jane Smith, who died at St. Aubins, Ruthrieston, October 21, 1924, age 72 years. Also, their daughter Barbara, who died at Woodend Hospital, Aberdeen, Oct 25, 1963, age 73.” I would appreciate hearing from anyone who might be able to clarify this situation. It’s hard to believe that this could be a clerical error. Jane Smith’s mother was Catherine Mennie.
Main, Mitchell; Stirlingshire
Drummond; Perth
Florence; Aberdeen

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Florence/ William Third
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 June 14 08:05 BST (UK) »
Hi ,

I think that nearly everyone who has traced their family lines in Scotland will have come across this situation where information on a marriage certificate doesn't match up with information on a death certificate.

Parent details on a marriage cert. are more likely to be correct , the details on a death cert. would only be to best knowledge of the informant.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Florence/ William Third
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 June 14 10:23 BST (UK) »
I note that the 1881 census gives the age of Jane Smith or Florence as 29, and her birthplace as Chapel of Garioch.

The IGI has Jane Smith, daughter of William Smith and Catherine Mennie, born 11 January and baptised 4 April 1852 in Chapel of Garioch. There is no listing of a marriage of William Smith and Catherine Mennie, and there are no other children of this marriage.

So was Jane Smith the illegitimate daughter of Catherine Mennie? Could whoever registered Catherine Florence or Third's death have given the name of her grandmother in error for her mother? Is her father's name on her death certificate?

A Catherine Mennie was born in Chapel of Garioch in 1833, parents Alexander Mennie and Jane Copland. The 1851 census has Catherine Mennie, aged 16, born C of G, as servant in Newhills.

Alexander Mennie and Jane Copland had a son Alexander in 1831 and a daughter Ann in 1836. In 1851 Jean, Aler [sic transcription] and Ann Mennie were at N Muir Aforsk. There was a Catherine Mennie, aged 6, in the household of Catherine Murray, 65, in Monymusk.

Catherine Mennie married James Tosh in Aberdeen in 1862, and Catherine Mennie, aged 43, died in Aberdeen in 1876.

Jane Mennie, 74, widow, stocking knitter, born Monymusk, is in Chapel of Garioch in the 1881 census. Jane Mennie or Copland, aged 83, died in Keithhall in 1887. Could her mother's surname have been Murray, I wonder?

If I were you I'd check that 1852 baptism and the 1876 death, and look for Catherine Mennie in the 1861 census. I might also be tempted to look at Jane Copland's death certificate.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.