Author Topic: John MOIR and Margaret FARQUHAR - Fraserburgh  (Read 8638 times)

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
John MOIR and Margaret FARQUHAR - Fraserburgh
« on: Saturday 16 August 14 17:44 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
I've been making great progess with my Fraser branch but I've failed to find out anything about this couple. I suspect (mis) transcriptions of the name Moir may be adding to my problem although Moir remains as a middle name without variation down through the family. I come down through their daughter Margaret. I have Margaret's birth 1821, marriage 1842 (OPRs) and her death certificate from 1905 - all Fraserburgh.

I think parents John and Margaret had three children all born Fraserburgh.  The oldest being Sophia b. 1818 and William b. 1825 being the youngest. Sophia I know married a John Stephen and I have her on the 41 and 51 census.  Not sure what happened to William. 

From Margaret's birth in 1821
"John Moir Blacksmith in this town & Margt Farquhar had a daughter in lawful wedlock, baptised and named Margaret; in presence of Geo Moir Senr and Junr Blacksmiths in Fraserburgh"

Dispite the 'lawful wedlock' I've never been able to find a marriage for this couple. (Same wording and witnesses on Sophia's 1818 OPR)

In 1841 I think Margaret (the mother) and William age 15 are living on  Firth Side street in Fraserburgh, Sophia is with her new husband John Stephen at Braeshead, Fraserburgh and my Margaret is a female servant with the Nobles on Castle Steet, Fraserburgh.  No adult male Moirs showing in Fraserburgh outside of another William age 20. I can find Moir 'blacksmiths' in 41 including an 85 year old George and a 55 year old John living Aberdeenshire but I can't make any connections to my Fraserburgh family.  >:(

No male Moirs at all living Fraserburgh by 1851 only 2 females - whom I take to be unrelated to me.

I'd really like to make some progress with this couple if at all possible.
Jen
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: John MOIR and Margaret FARQUHAR - Fraserburgh
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 August 14 18:19 BST (UK) »
Hi ,

SP has a John Moir , blacksmith in Fraserburgh 1829 , in the Wills section , 7 pages.
Might be worth a look  :-\

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 August 14 18:31 BST (UK) »
The Aberdeen Journal of 19-10-1808 has an article describing the rescue of the crew of the Rosehearty sloop "Isabella" which had been driven ashore in the Bay of Fraserburgh. After several attempts, the new lifeboat was able to take the crew off. Amongst the volunteers manning the lifeboat was John Moir, blacksmith.

The Aberdeen Journal of 16-1-1811 has a notice to the creditors of Alexander Wilson, road contractor, Fraserburgh, to meet at the house of William Moir, vintner, on 1st February. Amongst the creditors is George Moir, blacksmith.

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 August 14 09:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ev never thought to look for a will, think they are my blind spot! Anyway, it's an inventory really but some useful information.  He died 18/01/1828, Margaret Farquhar is named as his widow.  He had £2 in cash in the house. Interestingly he was owed £15 12s by George Moir Junior Blacksmith of Fraserburgh quite a lot of money I'd have thought given all John's possessions were only worth about £40. I hope Margaret got the money owed she would have needed it with three young children. I see the estate still had to pay a £1 stamp.

GR2 thanks I went to look up those stories but my £1 sub just ran out! This is interesting as now I've got George Srn, Jnr, John and now a William Moir all in Fraserburgh and more money matters. Also, John manning a lifeboat in 1808 and already a blacksmith so more man than boy.

More clues to follow up...
Many thanks
Jen

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 August 14 09:58 BST (UK) »
Think I've now established John's Moir's father and mother but still struggling with Margaret Farquhar.

John Moir born 1782 Fraserburgh to George Moir (Blacksmith) and Sophia Farquhar.  This information I got from John's sister Rachel Moir's death certificate (she married a blacksmith called John Callum and died 1872 age 86). Doubled checked her on the 1851 census to make sure she was born Fraserburgh ;)

George (Snr blacksmith) and William (vinter) may have been brothers (each are witnesses to the birth of each others children) and incomers to Fraserburgh?  There are only 18 births of Moirs showing on the OPRs at SP for Fraserburgh - 6 to George, 6 to William then later 6 to John.  It looks like John was married twice (but maybe not?). The OPR for John's daughter Elspit Mathew Moir born 1815 only lists the father - at least it says he was a blacksmith. None of the birth records for George or William's children list the mother's name - the first three births for John are also without a mother's name. I'm wondering if his first wife died in child birth and the daughter born 1815 was named after her - I've seen this happen a couple of times but currently that's just speculation. By 1818 when Sophia is born both John and Margaret Farquhar are showing as parents. Of the six children showing for John only Elspit is given a middle name. On the other hand all six children may have been born to Margaret. Gosh, reading back through that it all sounds a bit convoluted!

It would appear two of George's sons and two of William's join (are made to join?) the Fraserburgh militia in 1808. The ages given all correspond to the birth dates showing at SP.  Thankfully, William did not name any of his sons John :).

Thanks again for the help.
Jen

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 August 14 18:18 BST (UK) »
Some registers only recorded the fathers of baptised children, or did so for a period.

In the Aberdeen Journal of 13-3-1805, there is a list of those who have subscribed money since 17-1-1805 to go towards the building of the North Pier at Fraserburgh. Under those from the town of Fraserburgh itself are:

William Moir, Vintner £10
George Moir, Blacksmith £5

I also notice that there was a William Moir, vintner, in Portsoy in March 1801 and a George Moir, vintner, in Aberdeen in 1799.

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 14:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks GR2 looks like there might have been more money in wine than in blacksmithing. I've noted those other vintners. I'm google eyed looking at Aberdeen Moirs on the census for patterns in names, places and occupations.
I've now got all the OPR of John Moir's children (bonus - I've also got more of my Noble births on the same pages :)).  Nothing to glean from them except George Snr and Junr sign as witnesses from 1812 till 1825 when William the youngest is born. 
Looking at the OPR of George Snr's first child Margaret born 1781 does show a pair of witnesses that look interesting - John Moir of Lonmay and John Ritchie of Donley. Also, on the OPR for Alexander Moir first born to William Moir (Vintner) in 1788  - John Moir of Lonmay and George Moir in town showing as witnesses.  Lonmay is the first place outside of Fraserburgh that I can connect my Moirs to. Looks like William and George are sons of John Moir Lonmay?

Absolutely stumped with Margaret Farquhar.  If that's her with son William on the 41 census living Firthside Street, Fraserburgh - a stone's throw from the North Pier - then she should have been born Aberdeenshire around 1782-86. Possibly related to George Srn's wife Sophia Farquhar?

Now going to forget about family history and get ready for tonight's birthday celebrations ;D
Jen

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 17:13 BST (UK) »
You might be interested in these two gravestones at Lonmay.

In memory of John Moir tenant in Wester Cairness d. 29 June 1795 aged 65. This stone erected by his 3 children George, William & Margaret. Also Margaret Moir daughter to above George Moir blacksmith, Fraserburgh d, June 1784[?] aged 4[?] Sophia Farquhar spouse to above George Moir d. 18 June 1818 aged 72; son John d. 18 January 1828 aged 46.

Here lyes the body of William Moir sometime smith in Cairness d. 20 January 1738 aged 42; his son William d. 1 February 1728 aged 6.

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 18:08 BST (UK) »
GR2 not sure what to say what a fantastic birthday pressie - that all fits in so wonderfully.
Thank you SO much.

Jen