Author Topic: Missing O'Malley brothers, can anyone find them?  (Read 5533 times)

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Missing O'Malley brothers, can anyone find them?
« on: Saturday 06 July 13 09:06 BST (UK) »
Hi all.

I'm posting here as the brothers that I'm looking for definitely came from Ireland although I think they may both have ended up elsewhere, as I have only one single record of the existence of each of them.

My GGgrandfather John O'Malley had a number of brothers.  His parents were William and Mary O'Malley (whose maiden name may also have been O'Malley) and the family originally came from Mayo but by 1843 William senior was living in Dublin and working for the DMP.

One of them, Michael, appears in Dublin at his marriage at St Lawrence RC on 4/11/1866 to Harriet Byrne (nee Browne).  The difficulty is that as I have no ages for them and as I don't know if Michael was born before or after 1843, I don't know whether his place of birth would be more likely to be Mayo or Dublin.  As Harriet was already a widow, having previously married a Denis Byrne a couple of years earlier, it is unlikely that Michael married very young.  Harriet's parents were from London, but I haven't been able to find them there either.  The reason I believe him to be John's brother is that his address at marriage was the same as that of another brother Martin, and same parents' names.  Can't find any further mention of Harriet either.

The other is William, whose only mention is on the 1881 census when he is living with brother Martin and family at Somerset Street in Gateshead.  Martin and his wife had moved to Gateshead at some time in the previous year as all their children, including one-year old daughter Margaret, were born in Dublin.  At that time William junior is aged 40 but can find no references to him before or after that date.

Hoping someone out there can spot them somewhere!
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)

Offline hasta

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Missing O'Malley brothers, can anyone find them?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 July 13 17:42 BST (UK) »
Don't know if you've seen, on IG but is that Harriet Browne, age 27 being baptised 3 days before her marriage to Denis Byrne from 20 Lower Dorset Street ?? (my Latin is non existent) The marriage gives her address as no. 27 but I think the original page says 22, same as his address.

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/eac5f60110574
That would give her a birth date of 1837 so possibly shifting Michael's birth to pre 1843 and Mayo.
I notice her mother goes from being Catherine to Maria on the two marriages which is a pity.
Best match I can find for her yet is 1841 census. Sydney St, Islington, with father William, Mother Mary, Emma (7) Harriet (5) and Edwin (2)
Think that by tracing 'Harriet O'Malley' you might do better that sieving through the millions of Michael O'Malleys out there !
Do you know where in Mayo the O'Malleys were from ?

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 July 13 19:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Hasta,

thanks for the suggestions.  I had found the pre-marriage baptism and oddly an 1861 census which appears to be for the same family that you found in 1841.  At marriage, Harriet gives her father's occupation as mercantile clerk.

As Harriet didn't know her mother's name at the baptism, I guessed that her father had perhaps remarried later.

[added: places in Mayo named on other records are: Castlebar, Crossboyne and Islandeady, but I haven't managed to locate any records there pertaining to this family]
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 July 13 18:38 BST (UK) »
Still struggling!  Can find no sign of William or Michael before or after that one reference to each.

Searching for Harriet with no more luck.  Can't find Harriet O'Malley anywhere, even knowing her approximate age.

Also beginning to think that the Islington family for Harriet Brown(e) is unlikely, as apart from father's occupation which she might have aggrandised, there is a witness to her marriage to Michael who was staying at the same address as Harriet and is given as "Anna Joannes Browne"? so seems likely a sister called Ann(e) (or Hannah) Jane.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 July 13 19:14 BST (UK) »
Hello,

the marriage records for Michael and Harriet says that William and Mary's residence is Castlebar.
There is something written above their names which I can't read - do you have it?

regards
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 July 13 19:34 BST (UK) »
Hi heywood,

yes, I have both Castlebar and Crossboyne as where William came from on his police service records too but other marriages indicate that they were still in Dublin around that time (I did wonder if perhaps William had died by then and so they put where he came from as he had no current address). 

Their son Martin married just a few months earlier and their address was given as the same as Martin's on that record.

Can't find a death registration for William.  I think that Mary died in 1884 at her son John's address, although the age isn't quite enough on the Glasnevin record, just described as a widow, husband's occupation not mentioned.  Don't have the death registration yet.

Can't read all the note by the names but think that it begins "Idem" and suspect that it indicates that Mary was O'Malley before she married too, as that is the name given on other records where maiden names are listed for other mothers on the same page. I hope to look up the film for that record next time I am in Dublin to see if it is clearer than the digital image.

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 22:49 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm just reviving this post as I am in the process of preparing for another short research trip to Dublin, and, as usual, trying to do as much preparation as I can before I go.

I think that I have parents William (from Castlebar/Claremorris) and Mary, and sons John (from Islandeady), Martin (from Mayo and Dublin? - later moved to Durham and even later, a son of his moved to Fulham/Hammersmith), Michael, William (only seen once, with Martin in Durham in 1881), Edward and possibly a Peter (who witnessed Edward's marriage). Most of these have been identified from marriage records on irishgenealogy.ie.

I found baptisms/ civil registrations for 7 children for John and Catherine, 6 for Martin and Jane, 2 for Edward but none for Michael and Harriet.

I now have DMP and/or RIC records for William senior, John and Martin.

I would be very grateful if anyone can spot any further records for this family (I have copies of quite a few civil records and should be able to pick up any further useful registration copies while I am Dublin, if I arrive armed with a list).

I have some Glasnevin records but have not found a death, as yet, for William senior??

Nor have I yet found Michael and Harriet after their marriage, or Peter later than Edward's marriage.  Not yet certain that I have the correct death registration for Edward. So if anyone can spot any of these I will be grateful?  Also if anyone can read the note by the names of William and Mary on Michael's marriage?

Also suggestions for any other resources likely to be useful in this search?

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 August 14 14:01 BST (UK) »
Hi There

Can you zone in and list the records that you are looking for and I shall have a try ?

Thanks

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 August 14 14:29 BST (UK) »
Hi There

I'm just typing this up for my own benefit . . .

Is it roughly correct ?

William O'Malley RIC b 1800 approx Mayo, d Unknown Dublin.

Mary O'Malley b 1805 approx, d Unknown Dublin. (maiden name same as married name)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Children

///////////////////////////////

Martin O'Malley RIC m Jane Quinn

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/3e7c720083179

Went to Durham

//////////////////////////////

John O'Malley RIC m Catherine McQuirk

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/5764bb0426874

Went to ?

////////////////////////////////////

Edward O'Malley m Julia Dooley