Author Topic: Bridget Leonard, Athy  (Read 10136 times)

Offline cathal1958

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bridget Leonard, Athy
« on: Tuesday 05 August 14 09:05 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
I'm trying to find out if Patrick Leonard died 1st world war from Athy is a connection to me, he married in Derry in 1906 in Long tower R.C church to a maggie Mc Carron, they had two children both born in Donegal Bridget (my Granmother) and Eliabeth, when Patrick died in the war the family broke up and my Gran was hired around Donegal/ and Strabane area.
the other sister Elizabeth was taken and reared by His Sister Mary McKeown nee Leonard in Ramelton, Donegal.
Also there is a Bridget Leonard who died in Athy in 1980 age 82 just enquiringly if any one can shed some light on this ,
Thanks you

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bridget Leonard, Athy
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 12:26 BST (UK) »
Hi is it this Patrick Leonard born Athy Co Kildare died 29/4/1915 Royal Dublin Fusiliers this one was not married and was just 19years old 

Offline cathal1958

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 20:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie,
No my Patrick Leonard was full age when he married in 1906, its just so hard to pin point him when you have so little to go on, thanks

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 09:49 BST (UK) »
Your welcome  :)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 16:00 BST (UK) »
I keep coming back to this, reading it a few times, do a bit of searching but I just get more confused.
If you know Patrick Lenorard married Maggie McCarron and your grandmother was one of their children what are you trying to find out?
Do you know Patrick was from Athy or is the question was he from Athy and therefore the same man that died in WWI?
Have you found the family in the 1911 census, I'm having no luck with them.
When was Bridget and Elizbeth born?
What  was Patrick's job before the war?

Offline cathal1958

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 August 14 17:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Sinann
I know nothing of Patrick other that his Father was Patrick and was deceased at time of his Marriage and Patrick age states full which suggest over 21?
 He had a sister Mary Leonard who married a McKeown and they reared Elizabeth in Ramelton, Donegal after the family broke up, My gran was hired out for years moving around quite a bit,
 I have though the war records not found Patrick,
my mum was born out of Wed lock and we have never been able to trace Bridget  and we have tried. the connection to Athy was that I found a Patrick Leonard and also a death cert for a Bridget Leonard, I'm awaiting death cert from Roscommon,
1911 census house 26.1 Fahan Street Londonderry Urban 4 londonderry, show my Gran and Elizabeth, the Margaret Leonard would suggest at first glance that she is Patrick@s wife but she may not be as you would think she would have said that in the census, the Catherine Leonard is family connected and she died in 1919 age 21 from food poisoning. some family story was that Catherine is not Patrick's Child
Bridget was born In Ramelton 1904 ( i have both there  Certs) and Elizabeth was born in Letterkenny1909 , Elizabeth got Married and I meet her She lost contact from Bridget in the 1960's she knew she never married and government and church records show this also,
Patrick seemed to either follow work around he is recorded as a dealer.
Just trying to fit it all together Sinann, there is also a family in Sion Mills:1901 census.Residents of a house 86 in Town of Seein or Sion Mills (Altaclady, Tyrone). 1911 census residents of a house 29 Church Square (Attaclady,Tyrone) show a connection when my mum was born my gran had the address Attaclady Seein/sion mills  so I have not been able to find if this family is connected directly r they cousins etc? thanks for your interest Sinann,

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 August 14 18:53 BST (UK) »
There may not be a connection to Kildare at all!
I'll ask a moderator to move this to Ireland General as you might get more help there.
Meanwhile I'm just trying to get the known facts straight so correct me if I get any of this incorrect.

Patrick Leonard had a son Patrick and a daughter Mary
Patrick married Margaret McCarron      Mary married McKeown and lived in Ramelton Donegal.

In 1911 Patrick's wife Margaret is in the 1911 census in Londonderry
http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Londonderry_Urban__4_/Fahan_Street/603176/
She says she is married 9 years and has 5 children all still alive, her husband is not with her.
3 of her children are
Catherine 13
Bridget 8
Elizabeth 2

Margaret and all 3 children are listed as born in Londonderry City, but Bridget was born in Ramelton in 1904 and Elizabeth in Letterkenney in 1909 (Donegal)

It's is believed that Catherine is not Patrick's child which the Census bears out.
It's believed Patrick died in WWI
The family broke up after his death (possibly before by the looks of things)
Catherine died in 1919
Bridget did not marry, may have died in Kildare.
Elizabeth did marry, was reared by her aunt Mary McKeown after her father died.

So what's needed
1 Patrick and Margaret marriage
2 The births of their children
3 An army and/or death record for Patrick.
4 Where is Patrick and the other 2 children in 1911?

Offline cathal1958

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 August 14 19:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Sinann,
Patrick's Father named Patrick and was a laborer( noted in Patrick's marriage cert),
 Patrick My G G Father had one sister I know of, Mary married McKeown.
Patrick's death details will give the contents of his will made when he joined the army and should name his wife and my Gran and Elizabeth, or some other relative as there was money paid to the family of a serving soldier.
[/list] I have the Marriage cert for Patrick and Maggie Mc Carron, and the two birth certs, these are the only two children  to my knowledge ,
If I can identify the right parents of Patrick and their details etc I can progress on, E.G I could look for living relatives that could give more info.
I'm not that skilled in this research, you need to be a detective  ::)
regards Cathal

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 August 14 20:18 BST (UK) »
What address is on the marriage cert and where did they marry. Was it 1906?