Author Topic: Salmon, Murphy and Finn from Milford near Newmarket, Co. Cork  (Read 1849 times)

Offline Sean O Callaghan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Salmon, Murphy and Finn from Milford near Newmarket, Co. Cork
« on: Wednesday 20 August 14 13:00 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Researching my family has been very frustrating as I can find no one else who is also doing the research. Across all the branches, I seem to be the only one, which is bizarre, but I get no matches anywhere. In the meantime, my wife went on the ancestry.co.uk site the other night and within three hours had traced her great-grandmother's line back to 1620!!

I am trying to trace the Salmon family from Milford, near Newmarket, Co. Cork. Julia Salmon married John Murphy and they then had Michael Murphy in 1866. Michael married Eliza Finn, who was born in the same area in 1869 and the marriage took place around 1887, I think, in Newmarket. I will put up a separate enquiry about the Finns, but if anyone could help with the above, it would be wonderful.

Thanks

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Salmon, Murphy and Finn from Milford near Newmarket, Co. Cork
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 13:58 BST (UK) »

Hi all,

my wife went on the ancestry.co.uk site the other night and within three hours had traced her great-grandmother's line back to 1620!!

:o  :o That's like waving a red rag to a bull here.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 14:25 BST (UK) »
RootsIreland has a match for an Elizabeth Finn marriage to Michael Murphy 1887 in Kanturk RC but doing the same search for Michael to Elizabeth doesn't give a result when John as the fathers name is entered, it may be his name wasn't recorded.
Kanturk is about 22km from Milford.

Have you found Eliza and Michael on the 1901 census? http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 14:42 BST (UK) »
There is a match for Michael Murphy birth to Julia Salmon and John Murphy in Milford RC 1866 but just can't get a Murphy Salmon Marriage.

However this couple seem to have three children
Owen 1864
Michael 1866
Margaret 1868

So the would put the marriage back to 1864 or earlier.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 16:24 BST (UK) »
No amount of playing around with Salmon is getting a result for their marriage.
There is a John Murphy marriage to a Julia in 1861 in Milford but no idea of her surname, it's not just Cork, a search of all the counties covered by RootsIreland for a Murphy Salmon marriage 1864 +/- 10 years gives no results, but yet there are 5 results for Murphy children with mother Salmon in the same period, so it's fair to expect two marriages.

Milford marriage records for that period are there but if Julia was from a different parish and they married there, it's possible the record didn't survive or isn't online yet.
No luck on Irish Genealogy either

Offline Sean O Callaghan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 August 14 14:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all your help and hard work, Sinann. Yes, when my wife found all that information within a few hours (we were up until 4am), I was amazed and thought that at last, through that site, I would find all my answers. I didn't even find one! It was such a contrast. So many people were researching her family that all the pieces just fell into place. I seem to be the only one researching mine, which can't be true, I hope, but it seems like it.

Anyway, thank you so much for the information. I've now managed to get the details of Michael's marriage to Eliza. The Salmon info is still elusive, but my sister had a vague memory of someone telling her that Michael's mother was Ellen Angland and I have managed to find her marriage to John Murphy and the details seem to match, although the Salmon link was originally the one that was promising.  I greatly appreciate your help. The one thing that continues to puzzle me is that in all my researching of the various branches of the family I have yet to meet a fellow traveller.