Author Topic: Joshua McCourt and Elizabeth (Bessie) Cave - Lurgan  (Read 7667 times)

Offline skitoo

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joshua McCourt and Elizabeth (Bessie) Cave - Lurgan
« on: Wednesday 21 June 06 17:04 BST (UK) »
Joshua and Elizabeth Cave McCourt moved from Lurgan, Armagh to Melbourne (Quebec) Canada prior to the 1855 Census in Quebec.

I am serching for for info on these folks, who are my great, great, grandparents. I have much information on their children and respective families in Canada but no info to trace Joshua and Elizabeth. All I have is:

Joshua Moses McCourt born @ 1815 Lurgan, Armagh. Elizabeth (Bessie) cave born November 1920 at Lurgan, Armagh.

Offline aljepeka

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Joshua McCourt and Elizabeth (Bessie) Cave - Lurgan
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 May 07 00:55 BST (UK) »
In the Drumgask and Moyraverty townlands of Lurgan there were quite a few "McCourts" although I do not know how common the name is there now.
HARVEY-Drumnagoon/Seagoe/Portadown
McMURRAY,GIBSON,FITZSIMMONS-Crossmacaughley/Crossmacahilly/Moyraverty/Portadown
WOODS-Knocknamuckley/Portadown
CARDWELL,MORELAND-Dromore/Dromara/Waringstown
BOWEN-Tipperary
FREEBURN-Tartaraghan/Drumcree/Derrylard/Portadown

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 May 07 11:27 BST (UK) »
There is only one Joshua McCourt marriage in Lurgan according to Emerald Ancestors, but wrong bride.  Could her surname me mistaken? She could have been a widow. Here it is:
011/02/1851
Lurgan Registrar's Office
Joshua McCourt married Eliza McCanaghy
Might be worth £6 at Family Ulster for the complete certificate details.
Rosemary
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)
McCormick (Killyleagh and finally Belfast)

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 May 07 11:40 BST (UK) »
Just had a look at Griffiths on Failte Romhat.  In the Townland of Drumnykern, Shankhill Parish,there were:  Joshua McCourt and John and William Cave.  I think this is a big clue for you.  Also, Moses McCourt lived in Black's Court, Lurgan.  Certainly family names!.
Rosemary
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)
McCormick (Killyleagh and finally Belfast)

Offline aljepeka

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 May 07 23:15 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
According to www.familysearch.org   Bessie Cave's father was William. Type Cave into the surname search and the country as Ireland. If I recall correctly it gives two conflicting birth dates for Bessie - 1824 and 1833 but they have her spouse listed correctly as Joshua McCourt. It states that William was born in 1798. I have found that the dates listed on this site sometimes incorrect but it can still point you in the right direction.
I am in contact with a few people who are researching their relatives in the ame area as these McCourts lived. I do not think they have traced their tree as far back but I do know that their Grandfather or possible great grandfather (who was called McCourt)was married in Knocknamuckley parish church. Knocknamuckley is approx 3 - 4 miles from Lurgan but is only a mile or so away from the Monbrief/Drumgask area were they lived. Either Shankill Church or Knocknamuckley would have been the two closest Church of Irelands to these townlands. Some might also have attended Seagoe Church in Portadown .

Also if you type their names into your search engine one of the hits is as follows:-
"The known descendants of Joshua and Elizabeth Cave McCourt. Second Generation. 2. Moses MCCOURT (Joshua ) was born on 31 Oct 1844 in Lurgan, Armagh, Ireland. ...www.geocities.com/jmccourt1961/pafg02.htm - 23k - Cached - More pages from this site"
Broken link- please let us know if you find a new link to this information

You mentioned though that you already has this info but I thought I'd let you know just in case.
Happy hunting!!!
BOWEN-Tipperary

Offline amyanne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 October 09 06:14 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
According to www.familysearch.org   Bessie Cave's father was William. Type Cave into the surname search and the country as Ireland. If I recall correctly it gives two conflicting birth dates for Bessie - 1824 and 1833 but they have her spouse listed correctly as Joshua McCourt. It states that William was born in 1798. I have found that the dates listed on this site sometimes incorrect but it can still point you in the right direction.
I am in contact with a few people who are researching their relatives in the ame area as these McCourts lived. I do not think they have traced their tree as far back but I do know that their Grandfather or possible great grandfather (who was called McCourt)was married in Knocknamuckley parish church. Knocknamuckley is approx 3 - 4 miles from Lurgan but is only a mile or so away from the Monbrief/Drumgask area were they lived. Either Shankill Church or Knocknamuckley would have been the two closest Church of Irelands to these townlands. Some might also have attended Seagoe Church in Portadown .

Also if you type their names into your search engine one of the hits is as follows:-
"The known descendants of Joshua and Elizabeth Cave McCourt. Second Generation. 2. Moses MCCOURT (Joshua ) was born on 31 Oct 1844 in Lurgan, Armagh, Ireland. ...www.geocities.com/jmccourt1961/pafg02.htm - 23k - Cached - More pages from this site"
You mentioned though that you already has this info but I thought I'd let you know just in case.
Happy hunting!!!

Offline amyanne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 October 09 06:16 BST (UK) »
Hello. Anne McCourt in Canada - direct descendant of Joshua McCourt / Bessie Cave.
Is there any further information after Reply 4? This was helpful .
Thank you.

Offline aljepeka

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 October 13 03:45 BST (UK) »
There is someone else researching this family.

http://mccourtblarney.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/disaster-on-grand-trunk_10.html

Hope you can make contact and share info :-)
BOWEN-Tipperary

Offline aljepeka

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 October 13 03:48 BST (UK) »
Re the broken link in above posting.