Author Topic: Birth records Armagh 1836  (Read 8445 times)

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth records Armagh 1836
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 01:06 BST (UK) »
When I see Knocknamuckley baptisms of Jones, I am often  seeing 2 Jones families listed together.  William John b 1863 to James and Caroline is baptized at the same time as Eliza to Thomas and Eliza. You may have very close families so I should list more.

Arthur Jones 60 with wife Eliza 56, children Elizabeth 23, Robert 20,Mary 16, John 15, James 11, Wilson 8, and Teresa Wallace, the illeg. child of Elizabeth.  John m. Margaret Gardner in 1869 and says he is 23, so this family does not track birth years closely. Mary marries John Best in 1871 from one of my distant relatives.  There are also some scattered Jones like Maria, but living in other households.

Also, a Meredith Jones is witness to a marriage in 1859. There is also a Meredith of Ballyhannon whose will went into probate 1814. He might be listed  at PRONI in tax records, but I can't check right now. 

Many Canadian marriage records and death records lists parents.  Have you looked at these? 

Offline SUPERVISOR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 01:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much you are just confirming I have the correct family, your mention of William John born to James Jones and Caroline matches very close to my info from Canada. James and Caroline first son is William John b 1865 place of birth Ireland.   Meredith first shows up on Ontario Census in 1861 and is listed as age 24. He marries here in 1862 and that record lists his father as Valentine and mother looks like Eliza Pentleten or Pantleten but is is hard interpret. It is just a record writtin in a book and that is why I wondered if the transcribed it incorrect as it should have been Isabelle because his brother William was also married in Ontario and he lists father Valentine and mother Isabelle the same info as James and Caroline. I have confirmed that William was brother to Meredith and the family of James and Caroline were called Cousins to this family of Meredith Jones in Ontario Canada and I have documented those generations ...they kept in touch throughout my Grandmothers life and my Mom who is 89 remembers them.  I will tell you the other connection I think you have confirmed is via names. Meredith had 4 children and named them as follows Margaret, John, William and Thomas.  Those names seem to keep appearing  all except Valentine but from family notes I think his name was Valentine William but have yet to be able to confirm

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 02:44 BST (UK) »
I think you are telling me that Valentine had 2 wives and probably Isabelle died some time after having Martha in 1830.  Would there be 2 Valentines, otherwise? I have listed James as a son of Isabelle, but I don't have his baptism, just marriage.so I may be wrong. I can't tell where the information came from.  When was William born?  William, Meredith, and Valentine are brothers ?

The Pentland researchers were very active and  may have searched Seagoe records.  Perhaps they can help as I think the records are there before moving to Knocknamuckley. . They Pentlands posted on Rootschat. 

Offline SUPERVISOR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 11:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you, I will try that.  William's marriage records in Ontario give his birth about 1831 1832 He was married in 1865 at age 33 years. His Ontario marriage lists father Valentine and Mother Isabelle,He passed away sometime between 1872 and 1881. Only one son who also passed away in his twenties. James and Caroline Jones second child was born in Ontario in about 1868.

Offline SUPERVISOR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 11:59 BST (UK) »
Just looking at my records it could make sense that Valentine was married 2x.  Meredith immigrated in 1855 almost 10 years before Caroline and James. Williams marriage record is the only one where mother is listed as Isabelle and it sure looks like Eliza on Merediths   In the 1861 census there is an older Robert Jones living same property has Meredith He is 30 years old and single. William in 1861 is found a few miles away in the neighboring township and his 30 and married.  Family history has definite connections to William Meredith and James. William and Meredith first worked in Canada at the Welland Canal pulling boats up the canal with horses. James family ended up in Parry Sound and that is the family were for generations the "cousins" visited back and forth. My Grandmother was born in 1900 and it was her who had a close relationship with her cousin who I traced to being James and Caroline's granddaughter. It is very possible that Elizabeth Jones in the info you sent me could have had another child born after Meredith named Thomas in 1839.  I did connect with the United States family of Martha Jones daughter of Valentine who married John McCormick and she did meet with a genealogist on a trip to Ireland. They gave her the name Valentine as father but she never mentioned a mother. She did have baptismal records and there was a Meredith in that family. Seems like a few were all baptised same day but I don't have those records. Puzzles Puzzle  I do have one other family in my tree where the children of a step mother listed her as their mother on marriage records as they were very young when birth mother died. I suppose the same is possible here that Valentine did in fact marry 2 x once to Elizabeth and once to Isabelle .  All your tips to help so thank you for the leads   

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 14:19 BST (UK) »
|Might or might not have been 2 marriages- have seen Isabella and Elizabeth used for the same person before. Also, keep in mind that the person giving the details may have been confused or not have known the correct name.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 20:07 BST (UK) »
In the wills is Mary (McNab) Jones of Moyraverty who died  in 1892. She is wife of Thomas who also has a will and died in the same year.   She married Thomas in 1851 at Lurgan First Presby, but are the couple in the K church census in 1857.  He is 27 in 1851 and has father Valentine, so I assume Thomas living with Valentine and Eliza comes either from a second spouse or else is Arthur's son caring for elderly.  The census does not list relationships.

So Thomas and Mary (McNab) had dau Jane who married Thomas Gilpin of Clanrolla, son Robert who married Ruth Boness and who died 1912, son Thomas James (not John) who married Mary Emma Henderson (One of their dau is Mary  Isabella) and son John who died before Thomas and Mary  leaving sons Abraham Lutton Jones and Robert A. Jones to live with Thomas James.   

Does Elizabeth McMurray in Roxbury, MA, USA or Mary who m. John Parks in Ireland mean anything to you? They are the married children of Thomas James.  I can't find the relatives who went to Canada yet.  There were Campbells among the Jones descendents in NY.

Offline SUPERVISOR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 22:31 BST (UK) »
Your wonderful. Question what is K church. I really believe this is the family of Meredith. There seems to be so much that ties to what I knew as fact.  The Thomas who first speak of who married Mary Mcnabb would have been born 1824. The Robert that came to Canada was born in 1830. I will search the other names you have given me for the later generations.  The other info I have from the Martha Jones daughter of Valentine who married the McCormick and immigrated to the US met with the genealogist in Ireland also has an Anne  Jones daughter of Valentine born 1829.
Where do you live if I may ask. 

Offline hjarvis2696

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 07 March 22 15:06 GMT (UK) »
I think I might be able to help finding Valentine and Meredith Jones in Armagh. The family history goes back to the 1600s.  I believe your Valentine and Meredith Jones descended from a Jones family (which includes both those names) who were residents of Dromard (just west of Portadown) in the early 1700s.

I haven't got a link between the two families but they are geographically fairly close. If you would like to follow my research on the Jones family please go to http://freepages.rootsweb.com/%7Emarlow95/genealogy/gayer/gayer-app31.html, scan down the page to Valentine Jones I and click on the name "John James".  This will take you to the Jones of Dromard.

If you use my research please make sure you cite my web page. If you wish to correspond with me you will find my email address at the bottom of my web page.

H Jarvis