Author Topic: WREN and DOE families - somewhere in Herefordshire  (Read 2797 times)

Offline Billiegirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WREN and DOE families - somewhere in Herefordshire
« on: Friday 06 June 14 04:21 BST (UK) »

Hi there everyone. I've looked without any success for a James Wren who was overseer for a farmer named Thomas Doe, somewhere in Herefordshire in the early 1800's. James is my gt gt gt gt grandfather through his daughter, Hannah Wren.

I've found nothing whatsoever for James or his employer, so I have no location to look up any records. I'm hoping these two names might ring a bell with someone who knows the area.

Thanks, Billiegirl  :)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WREN and DOE families - somewhere in Herefordshire
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 June 14 08:39 BST (UK) »
How did you find he was an overseer to a Thomas Doe? What was the date of the document this was on? What part of Herefordshire? Have you found the christening for his daughter Hannah and any siblings she may have had - where and when was that? (If not, how do you know he was her father!!!)
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 June 14 12:16 BST (UK) »
I can only see  two Doe or Wren of any name in Herefordshire, but quite a few in Hertfordshire, is it possible there has been a mistranscription along the line somewhere.
mike

Offline Billiegirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 June 14 03:42 BST (UK) »

I got the information from Hannah's SP marriage record from Edinburgh in 1805, when she married Graham Campbell. Apart from her children's birth records, there is no further info about her. I know there were a lot of Wrens in Hertfordshire, but it definitely says Herefordshire on the marriage record. I was hoping that if I could locate the area they lived in, then maybe I could find some parish records  ???

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 June 14 04:58 BST (UK) »
Is she born c 1776/1781 England in the 1841/1851 Census in Midlothian?
Could there be a mistake on the Marriage Document and she was born Hertfordshire and not Herefordshire?

EG;
Hannah WRENN, Christened 7 Feb 1779, Braughting, Hertfordshire
Parents JAMES/HANNAH
(F/S.Org)

1841 Census has a Hannah Wren, 88 (1753), Widow, in Braughtin (sic)

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Billiegirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 June 14 06:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much, Trish. It does seem like the right time frame for Hannah's birth, and at least the father's name is right (not sure what her mother's name was,) but Hannah sr sounds promising. I'll have a go at trying to find them in Hertfordshire. This just might be the lead I need. Thanks again