Author Topic: L/Cpl James Howells  (Read 2941 times)

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
L/Cpl James Howells
« on: Tuesday 09 September 14 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hello
I wonder if someone could please check archived newspaper for 1915 for a report on the following soldier.  James Howells, Lance Corporal 19804, 2nd Battalion Welsh Regiment, was killed in action on 9th May 1915, age 27.  He has no known grave; his name is remembered on Panels 23 and 24 of the Le Touret Memoral, Nord-Pas-de-Calais, France. Son of George and Margaret Howells, of 40, Railway Terrace, Tir Phil; husband of Elizabeth Eugene Howells, of Upper Cwm, Little Dewchurch, Hereford.  I have located a brief report in the local newspaper for Tirphil, Glamorgan but I wondered if there would be a more detailed report in the Hereford Times etc (being his wife was of Little Dewchurch)
I would appreciate any help
Roy
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline metropolis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: L/Cpl James Howells
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 15:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Roy, if you have his Regimental Number the Regimental Museum in Brecon has an open door session tomorrow 11 Sept as part of Brecon History week. They may have information on him.
Garbutt, Anderson. Clark, Andrew, Goulden,Poad,Richardson .Whitby /Stockton/Yorkshire area . Duff family Malton and Stockton on Tees .

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: L/Cpl James Howells
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 18:11 BST (UK) »
Hi metropolis
Thanks for the info; I have already checked with the museum and they have no more than what I have on him, which is why I thought of going down the newspaper route.
Regards, Roy
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk